Tempura or shrimp tempura is a Japanese dish consisting of shelled shrimps, dipped in batter and deep fried. This is, I think, one of the most favorite Japanese food of Filipinos. Aside from shrimps, you can also make vegetable tempura to decorate or to make it more appetizing. Just slice some eggplants and carrots into thick strips, get some whole string beans then dip it in tempura batter then deep fry it.
When cooking shrimps, you will notice that the shrimps curl up. The technique for the shrimp to stay straight is by making a crosswise slit in the inner side of the shrimp. Of course a small piece of bamboo stick will work too by skewing so the shrimp will not curl. Just don’t for get to remove it after cooking. To cook shrimp tempura; Remove the head and shell of shrimps but leave tail intact. Devein. Make crosswise slit on inner side of shrimp, so it would not curl when cooked. Season with salt and calamansi juice. Set aside. Beat the egg. Add water and beat again. Add all the flour, baking powder, salt and MSG. In a deep pan, heat about 2 inches deep cooking oil. Dip shrimps in batter and drop one by one in hot oil. Fry until golden brown. To see the complete recipe and list of ingredients in exact measurements, continue reading.
- 1/2 kilo large shrimps
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- cooking oil for deep frying
For the batter:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. MSG
Tempura sauce ingredients::
- 1 cup fish or shrimp broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated radish or labanos
How to cook Shrimp Tempura:
- Remove the head and shell of shrimps but leave tail intact. Devein.
- Make crosswise slit on inner side of shrimp, so it would not curl when cooked.
- Season with salt and calamansi juice. Set aside.
- Beat the egg. Add water and beat again. Add all the flour, baking powder, salt and MSG.
- In a deep pan, heat about 2 inches deep cooking oil. Dip shrimps in batter and drop one by one in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown. Serve hot with tempura sauce.
To make tempura sauce:
- Mix all ingredients, cook for 5 minutes. Cool before serving.
Hi. Can you please suggest an alternative to the rice wine in making the tempura sauce?
Hi Ada, You can use mirin or white wine as an alternative.
Hi is the msg optional? What diff will it make? I added more wAter and a beer. Came out great!
Hi Janelle, yes msg is optional but Japanese always use msg in their cooking.
I want to learn more about cooking pinoy delicious food.thanks to your site keep it up!
Hi Maricar, you are welcome! I do hope you will frequently visit my blog.