Shiitake Mushroom Dumplings
Dumplings are usually wrapped in wonton wrappers and it is an Asian appetizer. This recipe I have here is made from mushrooms, ground pork and glutinous rice; mushrooms as wrapper and the glutinous rice and ground pork mixture as filling. If you ever wanted to cook something unique, why not try this recipe.
1/2 cup white glutinous rice (malagkit rice)
1 tsp. salt
6 to 8 pcs large shiitake mushrooms
1/2 kilo ground pork
1 Tbsp. rice wine
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
How to cook Shiitake Mushroom Dumplings:
- Soak rice in cold water for at least 45 minutes or overnight. Drain rice and mix with salt.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop the stems.
- Mix chopped stems with pork, rice wine, sugar, soy sauce and corn starch.
- Score the backs of the mushrooms, cutting a petal design.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the meat mixture.
- Spread the salted rice on a plate and press the filled mushrooms caps into the rice to coat the meat.
- Spread sesame oil on a heatproof dish and place the filled mushroom caps.
- Steam for 30 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce of vinegar and soy sauce mixed together.