This appetizer recipe is a very simple and easy prepare dish that can be served as an appetizer or a viand paired to plain rice or fried rice. Actually this is very similar to another dish called rellenong hipon or shrimp relleno where the ingredients are almost the same but the only difference is there is no lumpia wrapper used in preparing the rellenong hipon.
I think this is a crossbreed between lumpiang shanghai and rellenong hipon if you will ask me. But either of the two they are both popular and tasty Filipino dishes which are present in any special occasions. And I’m sure shrimp lumpia is a good addition to the menu whatever celebrations you will have specially this coming holiday seasons!
Unveiling the Flavors: Shrimp Lumpia Recipe
Embrace the joy of the holiday season with a delightful addition to your menu – Shrimp Lumpia, a delectable dish that effortlessly blends the flavors of lumpiang shanghai and rellenong hipon. Elevate your celebrations with this simple yet tantalizing appetizer or viand that pairs perfectly with plain rice or fried rice.
The Essence of Shrimp Lumpia
Discover the culinary magic of Shrimp Lumpia, a crossbreed between lumpiang shanghai and rellenong hipon, bringing together the best of both worlds. This Filipino favorite is not only a crowd-pleaser but also a versatile dish that complements any special occasion, making it an ideal choice for your upcoming holiday festivities.
Crafting Culinary Magic
Preparation of Shrimp
Start by removing the head and shell of the shrimps while leaving the tail attached. This meticulous process ensures that each shrimp is ready to infuse its succulent flavor into the dish. Season the shrimp with a pinch of salt and pepper, giving them a perfect blend of savory goodness.
In a mixing bowl, create a flavorful concoction by combining pork, oyster sauce, garlic, onion, carrot, spring onion, flour, egg, salt, and pepper. The resulting mixture is a harmonious blend of textures and tastes that will take your Shrimp Lumpia to the next level.
The Art of Wrapping
Take your lumpia wrapper and cut it in half, resembling a semi-circle. Lay the wrapper on a clean, flat surface, ready to be transformed into a vessel of culinary delight.
Crafting the Perfect Roll
Place one to two tablespoons of the meat mixture at the center of the lumpia wrapper, pressing it with a spoon to form a thin, flat rectangular or oval shape. Position a shrimp, tail sticking out, along the straight edge of the wrapper. Roll it into a small spring roll, akin to the beloved lumpiang shanghai.
The Finishing Touch
Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat, ensuring the oil is ready for the culinary masterpiece. Deep-fry the Shrimp Lumpia until it achieves a golden brown perfection that promises a delightful crunch with every bite.
Draining Excess Oil
Once cooked to perfection, transfer the golden wonders to a colander or a plate lined with paper towels. This step ensures that any excess oil is absorbed, leaving you with a Shrimp Lumpia that is not only delicious but also perfectly balanced.
Serve your Shrimp Lumpia with a side of ketchup or sweet chili sauce, creating a symphony of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. Whether enjoyed as an appetizer or a viand, each bite promises an explosion of savory goodness.
Final Thoughts: A Feast for the Senses
As you embark on the culinary adventure of crafting Shrimp Lumpia, revel in the fusion of flavors that make this dish a standout on your holiday table. With the perfect balance of crispy exterior and succulent filling, Shrimp Lumpia is not just a recipe; it’s a celebration of Filipino culinary artistry. Elevate your festive gatherings with this delightful creation and let the joy of the season unfold with each bite.
- 500 grams large shrimps head and shell removed, tail intact
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 grams ground pork
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pc small onion minced
- 1 pc small carrots grated
- 1 bunch spring onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 pc raw egg
- 10 pcs large lumpia wrapper cut into 2 pieces
- cooking oil for deep frying
- sweet chili sauce for dipping sauce
How to Cook Shrimp Lumpia
- Remove the head and shell of the shrimps but leave the tail attached.
- Put in a small mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients by hand for a few seconds. Set aside.
- In an empty mixing bowl, combine pork, oyster sauce, garlic, onion, carrot, spring onion, flour, egg, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut the lumpia wrapper in half resembling a semi-circle. Get 1 piece of the lumpia wrapper and lay on a clean flat surface.
- Put 1 to 2 tablespoon of the meat mixture on the center of the lumpia wrapper. The press it with a spoon and form it into a thin and flat rectangular or oval shape.
- Put a piece of the shrimp with the tail sticking out of the lumpia wrapper. Then roll it to from a small spring roll or lumpia similar to lumpiang shanghai.
- Please take note that the tail of the shrimp should be placed on the straight edge of the lumpia wrapper and not the round side.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan in medium heat and deep fry the shrimp lumpia until golden brown.
- Then transfer in a colander or plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve with ketchup or sweet chili sauce. Enjoy as an appetizer or a viand.