Rellenong pusit is one of the many Filipino relleno dishes which is filling or stuffing the fish, pork, poultry or vegetables with meat or vegetable mixture. It can be as small as this squid recipe or as big as a whole roasted pig that can be stuffed. Relleno is actually a Spanish word the means stuffed or filled. Cooking the relleno has variations also like frying, roasting or baking but the common way and the simplest is deep frying.
How to Cook Rellenong Pusit (Stuffed Squid)
- 1 kilo medium size fresh squid
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi or lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 pc onion chopped
- 1/4 kilo ground pork
- 1/2 tsp. carrots finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 whole eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
How to cook Rellenong Pusit or Squid Relleno:
- Wash and clean well by removing internal organs, transparent squid bone and ink sac and separate the head with the tentacles from the body of the squid. Remove the beak from the head and chop the head and the tentacles.
- Marinade the squid in calamansi juice and soy sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add pork and continue stir frying until the pork in cooked.
- Then add the carrots and chopped squid head and continue stirring until done.
- Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Remove from fire and add in beaten eggs and flour.
- Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Stuff the mixture into each squid then close the ends with toothpicks.
- Roll each squid in flour and deep fry until golden brown.
- Put in a colander after frying to drip excess oil or you can use absorbent paper towels.
- Serve hot with sweet chili sauce.