A Quick and Easy Recipe Bursting with Flavor
Are you a seafood lover who craves spicy and flavorful dishes? Look no further than this quick and easy recipe for Spicy Stir-Fried Squid. In just four minutes of cooking time, you can enjoy a mouthwatering dish that combines tender squid with a stimulating blend of spices. Whether you’re an experienced cook or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds and leave you wanting more. Let’s dive into the details of how to prepare this delectable squid dish.
Preparing the Squid:
To ensure tender and succulent squid, it’s important to start with proper preparation. Begin by boiling water in a pan, ensuring it’s enough to cover the squid. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, blanch the squid for just one minute. This step helps to retain its natural texture and flavor. Once blanched, remove the squid from the pan and allow it to drain. Transfer it to a bowl and set it aside.
Creating the Flavorful Sauce:
The key to the irresistible taste of Spicy Stir-Fried Squid lies in the flavorful sauce. In an empty bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, hot sauce, catsup, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper, and cornstarch. Be sure to mix the ingredients thoroughly until they are well combined. This sauce will infuse the squid with a delightful medley of tastes, ranging from savory and tangy to spicy and sweet.
Sautéing the Aromatics:
To enhance the overall taste of the dish, it’s time to sauté the aromatics. Heat cooking oil in an empty pan and add minced ginger and garlic. Sauté them for a minute until their aroma fills the kitchen. Next, introduce onions and bell peppers into the pan and stir-fry them for another minute. This combination of aromatic ingredients creates a robust foundation of flavors that will complement the squid beautifully.
Combining the Ingredients:
Now that the squid has been blanched and the aromatics have been sautéed, it’s time to bring everything together. Add the blanched squid to the pan and stir-fry it for a minute, ensuring that it absorbs the flavors from the aromatics. Then, pour in the soy sauce-oyster sauce mixture and continue stirring for an additional two minutes. Remember not to overcook the squid to prevent it from becoming chewy.
Adding the Finishing Touches:
To elevate the dish even further, it’s time to add the final ingredients. Toss in finely chopped onion leeks, green chilies, and siling labuyo (bird’s eye chili). Stir these ingredients for a few seconds to incorporate their vibrant flavors into the dish. Once complete, turn off the heat and transfer the Spicy Stir-Fried Squid to a serving plate.
In just a matter of minutes, you can prepare a delectable and spicy seafood dish that will leave your taste buds craving more. This Spicy Stir-Fried Squid recipe combines tender squid with a well-balanced blend of flavors, resulting in a dish that is both satisfying and memorable. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking to spice up your weeknight meals, this recipe is a surefire hit. Give it a try, and get ready to embark on a flavor-packed culinary adventure that will delight your senses. Want to try other spicy squid dish? Try this spicy sweet binagoongan squid recipe!
Spicy Stir-Fried Squid
- 500 grams squid, cleaned and sliced
- salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce (30 grams)
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp catsup
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pcs white onion, medium size sliced into wedges
- 1 inch ginger sliced into strips
- 2 pcs bell pepper, medium size sliced into wedges
- 1 stalk onion leeks sliced
- 2 pcs long green chili sliced diagonally
- 3 pcs siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil for sauteing
How to Cook Spicy Stir-Fried Squid
- Boil water in a pan just enough to cover the squid. Then blanch the squid for 1 minute. Remove the squid from pan and drain. Transfer to a bow and set aside.
- In an empty bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, hot sauce, catsup, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper and cornstarch. Mix until well combined.
- In an empty pan, heat cooking oil and sauté ginger and garlic for a minute. Then add onions and bell pepper and stir for another minute.
- Add squid and stir for a minute. Then add the soy sauce-oyster sauce mixture and stir for 2 minutes only. Do not overcook so the squid won't become chewy.
- Then add the onion leeks, green chilies and siling labuyo. Stir for a few seconds then turn off heat. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot.
Cooking Tips for Spicy Stir-Fried Squid
- Blanching the squid: When blanching the squid, be sure to bring the water to a rolling boil before adding the squid. This quick blanching process helps to retain the squid's natural tenderness and flavor.
- Don't overcook the squid: It's crucial not to overcook the squid to prevent it from becoming tough and chewy. Follow the recipe's instructions and stir-fry the squid for just one minute after adding it to the pan.
- Adjust the spiciness: If you prefer a milder or spicier flavor, you can adjust the amount of hot sauce and siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) according to your taste preferences. Add more or less of these ingredients to suit your desired level of spiciness.
- Use fresh ingredients: To ensure the best flavor and texture, use fresh ginger, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and chili peppers. Fresh ingredients contribute to the overall taste profile of the dish and enhance its aromatic qualities.
- Customize with additional vegetables: While the recipe calls for onions and bell peppers, feel free to experiment with other vegetables of your choice. Add colorful veggies like carrots, snap peas, or mushrooms to add extra texture and nutrients to the stir-fried squid.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:294g, Calories:294kcal, From fat:102, Total fat:11.6g, Saturated Fat:6.9g, Trans Fat:0g, Cholesterol: 292mg, Sodium: 1192g, Total Carbohydrate: 26g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 22g, Vitamin A: 19%, Vitamin C: 148%, Calcium: 8%, Iron: 12%