A Delectable Seafood Delight
When it comes to satisfying your seafood cravings, look no further than this mouthwatering Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid recipe. Combining the rich flavors of garlic and butter with a hint of spiciness, this dish is a delightful twist on the classic garlic buttered shrimps. Whether you’re a seafood aficionado or just looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Let’s dive into the step-by-step guide on how to cook this delectable dish that will surely leave you craving for more.
Cleaning and Preparing the Squid: The First Step to Culinary Excellence
Before you embark on your culinary adventure, it’s essential to prepare the main star of the dish – the squid. Begin by cleaning the squid thoroughly. This involves removing the beak, ink sac, squid backbone, and innards. Once cleaned, give the squid a good wash under running water and let it drain. Now, it’s time to slice the squid body into rings, ensuring bite-sized pieces for a delightful dining experience.
Blanching the Squid: Ensuring Tender and Flavorful Squid Rings
To achieve the perfect texture and flavor, blanching the squid is the next crucial step. In a pan or pot, pour in 5 cups of water and season it with a touch of salt and pepper. Allow the water to come to a gentle boil, then add the squid rings. Let them blanch for a mere 30 seconds – this short blanching process will help retain the squid’s tenderness. Once blanched, remove the squid from the pan and rinse it under running water. Place the blanched squid rings in a colander and set them aside.
Sautéing the Squid: Infusing Flavors for an Irresistible Taste
The sautéing step is where the magic really happens. In an empty pan, heat up some cooking oil and toss in the chopped onions and ginger. Allow them to sizzle and release their aromatic flavors for about 10 seconds. Now, add the blanched squid rings to the pan, and season them with a pinch of salt and pepper. Give them a quick stir, ensuring that the seasoning is evenly distributed. Continue stirring for half a minute before removing the squid from the pan and setting it aside.
Creating the Sweet Spicy Sauce: A Perfect Balance of Flavors
What sets this Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid apart is the delectable sweet spicy sauce that coats every succulent piece of squid. In an empty bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, hot sauce or chili flakes (depending on your preferred level of spiciness), sugar, garlic powder, and honey. Mix these ingredients until they’re well combined, creating a harmonious blend of sweet, spicy, and savory flavors. This sauce will be the star player in elevating the taste of your dish.
Sautéing the Garlic: Intensifying Aromas and Flavors
To infuse the dish with that signature garlic essence, it’s time to sauté some garlic. In the same pan used to cook the squid, melt a generous amount of butter. As the butter sizzles and melts, add finely chopped garlic and sauté until the garlic turns a delightful shade of golden brown. The aroma that fills the air is a tantalizing teaser of the flavor explosion to come.
Crafting the Irresistible Spicy Garlic Butter Sauce
Now comes the moment when all the flavors come together in a harmonious symphony. Pour the sweet spicy sauce you prepared earlier into the pan with the golden garlic. Also, add a splash of calamansi juice for that zesty kick. To achieve the perfect consistency, incorporate the squid broth into the mixture and stir until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. As the flavors meld and the sauce takes shape, turn off the heat, and get ready to complete your culinary masterpiece.
Coating the Squid: Bringing It All Together for the Perfect Bite
With all the components prepared, it’s time to bring the dish together. Add the sautéed squid back into the pan, carefully tossing each piece to coat it thoroughly with the luscious spicy garlic butter sauce. The squid should be glistening with the irresistible sauce, ready to be savored. Plate your creation, and serve the Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid while it’s still piping hot. The combination of tender squid, bold garlic, creamy butter, and a hint of spice will undoubtedly leave you and your guests craving for more.
A Seafood Sensation Worth Indulging In
The Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid recipe offers a delightful twist on the classic seafood fare, inviting you to explore a symphony of flavors with every bite. From cleaning and blanching the squid to creating the sweet spicy sauce and crafting the perfect sautéed garlic, each step contributes to the overall masterpiece. This dish is not only a feast for the taste buds but also a testament to the art of combining simple ingredients to create something truly extraordinary. Whether you’re preparing a special dinner or simply looking to satisfy your seafood cravings, this recipe is a must-try. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and embark on a culinary journey that promises to delight and impress – Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid awaits your skilled hands and eager palate.
Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid
- 1 1/2 kilo squid sliced into rings
- 2 pcs onions chopped
- 1 pc thumb size ginger sliced
- 50 grams butter or margarine
- 1 head chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup banana catsup
- 1/4 cup hot sauce or Tabasco sauce or 1 Tbsp. chili flakes
- 5 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 pcs calamansi extract the juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup squid broth from the boiled squid
- water for boiling
How to Cook Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid
- Clean the squid by removing the beak, ink sac, squid backbone and innards. Wash in running water and drain. Slice the body into rings.
- In an empty pan or pot, add 5 cups of water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the squid and blanch for 30 seconds then remove from the pan and wash in running water. Put on a colander and set aside.
- In an empty pan, heat cooking oil and sauté onion and ginger in high heat for 10 seconds.
- Add the squid, season with salt and pepper then stir for half a minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To make the sweet spicy sauce: In an empty bowl, combine soy sauce, catsup, hot sauce or chili flakes, sugar, garlic powder and honey. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the butter until melted. Add garlic and sauté until slightly brown.
- Add the sweet spicy sauce, calamansi juice and squid broth then stir until the sauce is slightly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Add the squid and toss until the squid is coated with the sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!
Cooking Tips of Spicy Garlic Buttered Squid:
- Perfect Blanche for Tenderness: When blanching the squid, keep it brief - around 30 seconds - to maintain its tenderness. This quick blanching process helps retain the squid's delicate texture without overcooking.
- Mastering the Garlic Sauté: Achieve a rich garlic flavor by sautéing the garlic until it's just slightly browned. This step enhances the aroma and taste of the dish, infusing the squid with a delicious garlic essence.
- Balancing Spice and Sweetness: When creating the sweet spicy sauce, find your perfect balance by adjusting the hot sauce or chili flakes and sugar quantities. Taste as you mix to ensure the sauce brings together a harmonious blend of sweetness and spiciness.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:233g, Calories:264kcal, From fat:83, Total fat:9.4g, Saturated Fat:3.1, Trans Fat:0g, Cholesterol:33mg, Sodium: 1231 Total Carbohydrate: 37g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 29g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 10%, Vitamin C: 26%, Calcium: 5%, Iron: 7%