This recipe is a gizzard version of the chicken afritada. You won’t how tasty it is specially if you are fond of eating chicken gizzards. Actually some chicken afritada recipes has liver and gizzards included in the dish to make is more appetizing. So why not make a gizzards only version of afritada? So here it is, the chicken gizzards afritada! The only tedious part in cooking this dish is cleaning the gizzards.
But you can buy the already dressed or cleaned chicken gizzards in supermarkets that has a meat and poultry section. But personally I prefer those sold in the wet market that sells chicken livers that are attached to the gizzards. There is really a big difference in freshness and taste when buying in wet markets. As I have said the cleaning of gizzards is the only tedious part. But don’t worry I have some instruction to properly clean the gizzards.
A Flavorful Twist on a Classic Dish
Are you a fan of chicken gizzards? If so, get ready to tantalize your taste buds with a mouthwatering variation of the classic chicken afritada recipe – the Chicken Gizzards Afritada! This delectable dish takes the rich flavors of chicken gizzards and transforms them into a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re an afritada aficionado or a gizzard enthusiast, this recipe is sure to delight your senses.
Unlocking the Flavors: Chicken Gizzards Afritada Explained
If you’ve ever savored the delightful taste of chicken afritada, you know how it combines tender chicken pieces with a tomato-based sauce, bell peppers, and other flavorful ingredients. Well, imagine elevating this already delightful dish by focusing solely on succulent chicken gizzards. The result? A uniquely flavorful Chicken Gizzards Afritada that will leave you craving for more.
The Essential Step: Cleaning the Chicken Gizzards
One might shy away from cooking chicken gizzards due to the perceived hassle of cleaning them. However, worry not! We’ve got you covered with step-by-step instructions to ensure you get those gizzards squeaky clean.
Begin by removing the fats attached to the gizzards using a knife. Then, place the gizzards in a mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup of rock salt. Gently rub the gizzards with the salt, effectively eliminating the sliminess. Squeezing it gently until the slime is removed. This process also helps reduce any gamy odor associated with gizzards. Afterward, rinse the gizzards thoroughly under running water and allow them to drain in a colander.
Cooking Up a Storm: Chicken Gizzards Afritada Recipe
Now that your gizzards are impeccably clean, it’s time to dive into the culinary adventure of creating Chicken Gizzards Afritada.
Preparation and Sautéing:
Begin by frying diced potatoes and carrots until they acquire a delightful golden brown hue. Take care not to over-fry them. In a separate pan, sauté garlic and onion in cooking oil until they turn soft and aromatic. Introduce tomato paste into the mix, stirring it for a few seconds to infuse the flavors.
Adding the Gizzards:
Next, it’s time to introduce the star of the show – the cleaned chicken gizzards. Stir them in the pan over high heat for about 30 seconds, ensuring they absorb the savory essence of the sautéed mixture. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, followed by a generous splash of soy sauce. Adjust the heat to medium and continue stirring for another half-minute.
Creating the Flavor Base:
To further enhance the flavors, add enough water to cover the gizzards. This step helps incorporate all the wonderful fond sticking to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium. Allow it to simmer for approximately 35 minutes or until the gizzards achieve that desired tenderness.
Infusion of Flavors:
Enhance the dish by introducing bay leaves, tomato sauce, a hint of sugar, grated cheese, and a dollop of liver spread. Allow the flavors to meld by cooking the mixture for an additional 5 minutes. If needed, you can add more water to maintain the desired consistency.
The Finishing Touch:
Finally, it’s time to add the vibrant vegetables. Stir them into the mixture, ensuring they’re coated evenly with the flavorful sauce. Continue cooking until the potatoes and carrots are tender but not overly soft.
Adding Heat, If Desired:
For those who appreciate a spicy kick, consider incorporating hot sauce or the fiery siling labuyo into your Chicken Gizzards Afritada.
Serving and Savoring the Result:
As the enticing aroma fills your kitchen, it’s clear that your efforts have paid off. Serve your Chicken Gizzards Afritada piping hot, alongside steamed rice or your favorite bread. Every succulent bite will remind you of the labor of love that went into cleaning and preparing those gizzards.
The Chicken Gizzards Afritada recipe is a delightful twist on a beloved classic, tailor-made for gizzard enthusiasts and those looking to explore new culinary horizons. The meticulous cleaning process and careful preparation are the keys to unlocking a world of flavors that are sure to leave your taste buds dancing with joy. So why wait? Embark on this gastronomic journey and treat yourself to a dish that’s not only delicious but also a testament to your culinary prowess.
Chicken Gizzards Afritada
- 1 kilo chicken gizzard
- 1 pcs medium size carrot sliced into cubes
- 1 pcs medium size potato sliced into cubes
- 1 pcs red bell pepper sliced
- 1 pcs green bell pepper sliced
- 1 pc medium sized onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or washed segunda sugar
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 small can liver spread 85 grams
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- water enough to cover the gizzards
How to Cook Chicken Gizzards Afritada
- If your gizzards are bought in the wet market with fats and other impurities are attached, Remove the fat first from the gizzards.
- Then add 1/4 cup of coarse salt or rock salt and rub the gizzards to remove the slime. You can do it by gently squeezing the gizzards by hands until the slime is rmoved.
- Then wash and drain and place in a colander to remove excess water.
- In an empty pan, fry the potatoes and carrots until brown. Fry also the bell peppers but only for a few seconds then remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add some cooking oil and sauté garlic and onion until soft. Add tomato paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the gizzards and stir in high heat for a half a minute then season with salt and pepper, then add soy sauce. Reduce the heat to medium and stir for another half a minute.
- Add water just enough to cover the gizzards. Stir to mix the fond sticking in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook in medium heat for 35 minutes or until the gizzards are tender.
- Add bay leaves, tomato sauce, sugar, grated cheese and liver spread. Cook for another 5 minutes and add more water if necessary.
- Add the veggies and stir to mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender but not overcooked.
- You can add hot sauce or siling labuyo if you preferred a spicy afritada. Serve hot and enjoy!
Cooking Tips of Chicken Gizzards Afritada:
- Precise Gizzard Preparation for Enhanced Flavor Absorption: Before cooking, meticulously clean gizzards by trimming fats and rubbing with salt to eliminate sliminess and potential gamy odor, ensuring optimal flavor absorption. Rinse thoroughly to remove any residual salt and slime, then let them drain in a colander, ready to absorb the rich afritada sauce flavors.
- Layered Flavor Development for a Harmonious Taste Profile: Craft a delightful Chicken Gizzards Afritada by sautéing garlic, onions, and introducing tomato paste for deep flavors before gently adding cleaned gizzards. Gradually season with salt, pepper, and desired spices to build a balanced and layered taste profile that highlights each ingredient's essence.
- Mastering Texture through Patient Simmering: Achieve perfect gizzard tenderness by simmering over medium heat for about 35 minutes after sautéing, allowing the gizzards to absorb the rich tomato sauce and aromatic spices, resulting in a melt-in-the-mouth texture that defines a superb Chicken Gizzards Afritada.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:400g, Calories:399kcal, From fat:102, Total fat:11.4g, Saturated Fat:4.5g, Trans Fat:0.1g, Cholesterol:454mg, Sodium: 1793 Total Carbohydrate: 33g, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 39g, Vitamin A: 65%, Vitamin C: 183%, Calcium: 16%, Iron: 37%