Porky Ginataang Kalabasa (Porky Squash with Coconut Milk)
Ginataang kalabasa or squash with coconut milk is one of the simplest Filipino vegetable recipes. This recipe has more pork in it, half of the amount of squash so it is more meaty. And when selecting or buying squash, look for the green peel and not brown because it is tough and flesh is very firm.
1/2 kilo squash
1/4 kilo pork belly (liempo), slice into cubes
2 cups coconut milk
1 Tbsp. shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium size red onion, chopped
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 tsp. Magic Sarap or any granulated seasoning
How to cook porky ginataang kalabasa:
- Wash, peel and remove the seeds of the squash. Slice into 1 inch size then set aside.
- In an empty wok, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and tomato.
- When the onion and tomato is already cooked, add the pork belly and stir fry for a few minutes until the pork is light brown.
- Then add the shrimp paste and stir fry for a few minutes then add the squash.
- Stir fry again until the squash turns to bright yellow or orange depending on the kind of squash you bought.
- Then pour the coconut milk, add magic sarap seasoning and simmer until the squash is cooked.