This is a simple vegetable omelet dish made from okra, eggs, rice flour and spices. Actually the rice flour included in the ingredients can be omitted but it is also necessary if you want to add some slight crunchiness similar to making okoy. This is also a healthy alternative to pork giniling omelet but I think you can also add some sliced pre-cooked pork, chicken or shrimps together with the sliced okra. Also, if you notice in the procedure on sauteing the okra first before combining with the rest of the ingredients, sauteing the okra will remove at least half of the sliminess. But if the natural texture of okra is okay with with you, the I think there is no need to pre-cook it.
How to Cook Tortang Okra
- 2 cups okra sliced thinly
- 3 Tbsp. red onion minced
- 2 raw eggs
- 3 Tbsp. spring onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1/8 tsp chili powder optional
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
How to cook tortang okra:
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil and saute the okra until all the sides are seared for about 2 minutes to reduce the slimy texture. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the okra, onion, spring onion, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, chili powder and rice flour. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and put about one and a half tablespoon of the okra mixture and form into a round or circular patties. Make 2 to 3 patties per batch but avoid sticking the edges to each other.
- Fry 3 to 4 minutes on one side then flip to cook the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes. After cooking remove from the pan and drain in paper towels or colander to drain excess oil. Repeat the same process on the rest of the okra mixture. Serve hot.