Delicious and Healthy Chicken Pochero
Looking for a flavorful and healthy chicken dish that will satisfy your taste buds? Look no further! Chicken pochero is a delightful tomato sauce-based chicken stew packed with nutritious vegetables. This dish is a variation of the traditional pochero, which is typically made with pork.
With its combination of tender chicken, vibrant vegetables like cabbage, Baguio beans, and pechay, chicken pochero is a hearty and wholesome meal that is sure to please both your palate and your health-conscious mind. In this recipe blog post, we will guide you through the process of cooking this delectable dish step by step.
Cutting the Chicken:
To start, cut the chicken into pieces that are suitable for serving. This will ensure even cooking and allow the flavors to penetrate the meat thoroughly.
Frying the Bananas:
While the chicken is being prepared, take some time to fry the bananas separately. Set them aside for now as they will be added later in the cooking process.
Sautéing Garlic and Onion:
In a pot, heat cooking oil and sauté minced garlic and chopped onion until they become fragrant. This step adds a wonderful aroma and depth of flavor to the dish.
Stir-Frying the Chicken:
Next, add the chicken to the pot and stir-fry it until lightly browned. This quick cooking method helps seal in the juices and enhances the overall taste of the chicken.
Adding Saba and Sweet Potatoes:
Once the chicken is lightly browned, it’s time to add the saba (cooked plantains) and sweet potatoes to the pot. These ingredients lend a touch of sweetness and provide a delightful contrast to the savory flavors of the dish.
Simmering with Tomato Sauce, Water, and Catsup:
Cover the pot and let the chicken, saba, and sweet potatoes simmer for a few minutes. Then, add tomato sauce, water, and a hint of catsup. These ingredients form the base of the flavorful sauce that will coat the chicken and vegetables.
Introducing Baguio Beans and Chorizo (optional):
When the chicken and other ingredients have cooked for a while, it’s time to add the Baguio beans (also known as green beans). For an extra burst of flavor, you can also include chorizo, a type of Spanish sausage. This addition infuses the dish with a rich, smoky taste.
Adding Cabbage, Pechay, and Garbanzos:
As the dish nears completion, add cabbage, pechay (a type of Chinese cabbage), and garbanzos (chickpeas). These vegetables not only contribute to the nutritional value of the dish but also provide a delightful crunch and vibrant colors.
Seasoning to Taste:
Finally, season the chicken pochero with patis (fish sauce), salt, pepper, and sugar according to your personal preference. Adjust the seasonings to achieve the perfect balance of flavors that suits your taste buds.
By following these simple steps, you can easily create a scrumptious chicken pochero that will impress your family and friends. The combination of tender chicken, hearty vegetables, and flavorful sauce makes this dish a winner in terms of both taste and nutrition.
Chicken pochero is a fantastic recipe to try if you’re looking for a healthy and delicious chicken dish. With its vibrant assortment of vegetables and flavorful tomato-based sauce, this dish is both visually appealing and satisfying to the palate. The step-by-step guide provided above ensures that even beginner cooks can successfully recreate this culinary masterpiece. So, gather your ingredients, get cooking, and enjoy a delightful meal that will surely become a favorite in your household. Want to try the pork version? Check this pork pochero recipe!
How to Cook Chicken Pochero (Pocherong Manok)
- 1 kilo dressed chicken
- 1 small pack tomato sauce
- 1/2 small cabbage quartered
- 1 small bunch pechay
- 100 grams baguio beans cut into 1 inch length
- 5 pcs bananas saba variety, cut into half
- 2 pcs medium sweet potatoes or potatoes quartered
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 head crushed garlic
- 1 pc chorizo de bilbao sliced (optional)
- 1 small can garbanzos optional
- 1 cup water add more if necessary
- 1 Tbsp. banana catsup
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp. patis
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook chicken pochero:
- Cut the chicken into serving sizes. Fry the bananas and set aside.
- In a pot, saute garlic and onion in 1 tsp cooking oil.
- Then add the chicken and stir-fry for at least 3 minutes.
- Add the saba and sweet potatoes then cover and let it simmer.
- After 5 minutes, add the tomato sauce, water and catsup, and cover again and simmer.
- Add the baguio beans (and chorizo) and when it is already cooked put the cabbage and pechay (and garbanzos).
- Season with patis, salt, pepper and sugar according to your desires taste.
Cooking Tips for Chicken Pochero:
- Choose the Right Chicken Cuts: When preparing chicken pochero, it's essential to select the appropriate chicken cuts. Opt for bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces like thighs or drumsticks. These cuts retain moisture and add depth of flavor to the stew. The bones also contribute to a richer broth. Avoid using boneless, skinless chicken breasts as they may become dry and less flavorful during the cooking process.
- Don't Overcook the Vegetables: To ensure that your chicken pochero is both flavorful and visually appealing, it's crucial not to overcook the vegetables. Add the vegetables like cabbage, Baguio beans, and pechay towards the end of the cooking process. This way, they retain their vibrant colors, pleasant crunch, and nutrients. Overcooked vegetables can become mushy and lose their nutritional value, so aim for a tender yet slightly crisp texture.
- Adjust Seasonings to Personal Preference: While the recipe provides general guidelines for seasoning, don't be afraid to adjust the seasonings according to your personal taste. Some individuals prefer a bolder flavor, while others enjoy a more subtle taste. Start with the recommended amounts of patis (fish sauce), salt, pepper, and sugar, and then gradually add more if desired. Remember to taste the broth as you go and make adjustments to achieve the perfect balance of flavors that suit your palate.