This pork dish is a very unique pochero dish because it does not have vegetables like pechay, saba bananas or cabbage and the sauce is very different from the usual pochero. It is more like a mechado when you see the texture and also the taste. One peculiar thing on this dish is it it has bell peppers which is the only vegetable you can see on this dish. The pocherong alfonso is very popular in Alfonso Cavite and I think it was passed down from generations and it was always present in their gatherings and celebrations like fiestas or holidays.
How to Cook Pocherong Alfonso
- 1 kilo pork butt or shoulder cut into large cubes
- 1 cup banana ketchup
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 soy sauce
- 1 to 2 pcs red bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 Tbsp. pickle relish
- 12 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pcs onions chopped
- 2 pcs kalamansi extract the juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 Tbsp. patis
How to Cook Pocherong Alfonso:
- Slice the pork into large cubes. Put in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the marinade ingredients in the bowl: soy sauce, banana ketchup, pineapple juice, tomato sauce, pickle relish, half of garlic, half of onions, bell peppers, kalamansi, salt and pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients in the bowl then cover and marinate for 1 hour.
- In a pot or wok, melt the margarine and saute the remaining garlic and onions until onions are soft.
- Then add in the marinated pork with the marinade. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour or until the pork tender.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.