Pork ribs are a classic comfort food that everyone enjoys. Whether you are cooking for a family dinner or a special occasion, this Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs in Oyster Sauce recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. This recipe combines the richness of oyster sauce with the sweetness of brown sugar and the spiciness of sweet chili sauce, creating a flavor that is hard to resist. In this recipe, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of cooking this mouth-watering dish.
Before you start cooking, it’s important to have all the ingredients ready. You will need 1 kilo of pork ribs, black pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, brown sugar, onion, sweet chili sauce, butter, and cooking oil. If you prefer, you can ask your meat vendor to chop the pork spare ribs into serving pieces for you.
Boiling the Pork Ribs
The first step in cooking Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs is to boil the pork ribs. To do this, put the pork ribs in a pot and fill it with water just enough to cover the ribs. Bring the water to a boil and let the pork ribs simmer for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, remove the pork ribs from the pot and put them in a bowl or any container, and set them aside.
Cooking the Pork Ribs
The next step is to cook the pork ribs. Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan and put the pork ribs in the pan. Stir and put the brown sugar while stirring until the pork ribs turn brown and the sugar caramelizes with the pork ribs. Then, add the oyster sauce and soy sauce and stir for a minute. Pour water just enough to cover the pork ribs, add the chopped onion, and cover the pan. Let it simmer until the pork is tender. Add more water if necessary, or if the pork is not yet tender.
Adding the Flavor
Once the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced, it’s time to add the final touches. Add butter, garlic, and salt, then stir and cook for a few seconds. Next, add the sweet chili sauce and stir cook for a minute. Finally, turn off the heat and let the flavors blend for a few minutes.
Serving the Dish
Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs in Oyster Sauce are best served hot. You can garnish it with fried garlic or chopped spring onions to add some extra flavor and texture. Serve it with a side of steamed rice, and you have a delicious and satisfying meal.
This recipe is easy to prepare and doesn’t require too much time in the kitchen. With just a few simple steps, you can create a dish that is sure to impress your guests. The combination of oyster sauce, brown sugar, and sweet chili sauce creates a flavor that is both sweet and savory, with just the right amount of spice. So go ahead and try this recipe today, and enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone will love.
NOTES ON THE INGREDIENTS:
Pork ribs are the main ingredient of this recipe and provide a meaty, juicy texture and flavor that is sure to satisfy. The ribs are first boiled in water to ensure they’re cooked through and then caramelized with brown sugar and oyster sauce to create a delicious crust on the outside.
Oyster sauce is a staple ingredient in Asian cuisine and is made from oysters, salt, sugar, and soy sauce. It adds a rich, savory flavor to the dish and helps to balance out the sweetness of the brown sugar and sweet chili sauce. Oyster sauce is also a thick, viscous sauce that helps to coat the pork ribs evenly, creating a delicious glaze on the outside.
Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet chili sauce is a popular condiment that adds a sweet and spicy flavor to the dish. It’s made from chili peppers, sugar, vinegar, and garlic, and is commonly used in Asian cuisine. The sweet chili sauce helps to balance out the richness of the oyster sauce and adds a touch of sweetness to the dish, making it more flavorful.
Brown sugar is used to caramelize the pork ribs and create a delicious crust on the outside. It adds a sweetness that complements the savory flavor of the oyster sauce and helps to create a beautiful golden brown color on the pork ribs. The brown sugar also helps to balance out the spiciness of the sweet chili sauce.
Garlic is a staple ingredient in Asian cuisine and adds a rich, aromatic flavor to the dish. It’s used to add depth and complexity to the flavor profile of the pork ribs and helps to balance out the sweetness of the brown sugar and the spiciness of the sweet chili sauce. The garlic is peeled and crushed and added to the dish along with the butter and salt to create a delicious sauce that coats the pork ribs evenly.
How To Cook Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs in Oyster Sauce
- 1 kilo pork ribs
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 head garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 pc onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- cooking oil for sauteing
How To Cook Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs in Oyster Sauce
- Chop the pork spare ribs into serving pieces or let the meat vendor do it for you.
- Put the pork ribs in a pot and fill with water just enough to cover the ribs. Bring to boil and simmer it for 3 minutes.
- Then remove the pork ribs from the pot and put in a bowl or any container and set it aside.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of cooking oil in a pan and put the pork ribs. Stir and put the brown sugar while stirring.
- Stir until the pork ribs turns to brown and the sugar caramelizes with the pork ribs.
- Add oyster sauce and oyster sauce and stir for a minute. Then pour water just enough to cover the pork ribs.
- Add onion and cover. Simmer until the pork is tender for about 1 hour. Add more water if necessary or if the pork is not yet tender.
- When the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced, add butter, garlic and salt then stir and cook for a few seconds.
- Add sweet chili sauce and stir cook for a minute then turn off heat.
- Serve hot and garnish with fried garlic or chopped spring onions.
- Boil the Pork Ribs First: Boiling the pork ribs before cooking them in the sauce ensures that they're cooked through and tender. This also helps to remove any impurities and excess fat from the meat. Be sure to skim off any foam or impurities that float to the top of the water while boiling.
- Use a Non-Stick Pan: To prevent the pork ribs from sticking to the pan, it's best to use a non-stick pan when caramelizing them with brown sugar. A non-stick pan will also help to evenly distribute the heat and prevent burning.
- Adjust the Water Level: The water level should be just enough to cover the pork ribs when adding it to the sauce. This will ensure that the pork ribs cook evenly and are not overcooked. If the pork ribs are not yet tender, you can add more water as needed and continue to simmer until they are cooked through.
- Let the Ribs Rest: After the pork ribs are cooked, let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute and the flavors to settle. It will also make it easier to handle and cut the pork ribs into serving pieces.
- Garnish with Fried Garlic or Spring Onions: Adding a garnish of fried garlic or chopped spring onions will enhance the presentation of the dish and add a pop of color. You can fry the garlic in a separate pan until golden brown and crispy or simply chop up some spring onions for a fresh and vibrant touch.
Leave a Reply