A Delicious Asian Delight You Can Make at Home
If you’re a fan of Asian cuisine, particularly Chinese dishes, then you’ve probably come across the mouthwatering sweet and spicy spareribs. The perfect balance between sweetness and spiciness makes this dish an absolute treat for your taste buds. The good news is that you can recreate this delectable dish right in your own kitchen, without the need for any special ingredients or advanced cooking skills. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the process of making sweet and spicy spareribs, providing helpful tips along the way. Want to try other spareribs recipe? Check this spareribs with catsup!
Marinating the Spareribs for Maximum Flavor
To achieve the tantalizing flavor of sweet and spicy spareribs, marination is key. Start by marinating the spareribs in a mixture of pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, black pepper, and ginger. These ingredients work together to infuse the meat with a blend of sweet and savory flavors, creating a delightful contrast.
The marinating process is crucial as it allows the flavors to penetrate the meat and tenderize it. For best results, let the spareribs marinate for about an hour, giving enough time for the flavors to develop and enhance the overall taste of the dish.
Simmering the Ribs to Tenderness
Once the spareribs have absorbed the flavors from the marinade, it’s time to cook them. Simmer the ribs together with the marinade for approximately 40 minutes or until they are nearly tender. Simmering the spareribs in the marinade allows the meat to soak up even more of the delicious flavors, resulting in a rich and succulent dish.
However, make sure to reserve half a cup of the broth after draining the ribs. This flavorful broth will later be used to enhance the sauce and ensure that every bite of the spareribs is packed with an explosion of taste.
Coating and Frying the Meat to Perfection
To achieve a crispy and golden exterior, the next step is to coat the meat with flour and deep-fry it. The flour coating adds a delightful crunch to the spareribs while sealing in the juices, ensuring a tender and moist interior. Carefully fry the coated spareribs until they turn a lovely shade of brown. This process not only enhances the visual appeal of the dish but also adds an irresistible texture to every bite.
Creating the Sweet and Spicy Sauce
Now comes the most exciting part – creating the sweet and spicy sauce that will bring the entire dish together. In a separate pan, combine the reserved broth, sweet chili sauce, and sesame oil. These ingredients combine to form a delectable sauce that perfectly complements the flavors of the spareribs.
Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken slightly before adding the fried spareribs. Stir gently to ensure that each piece of meat is evenly coated with the sauce, ensuring that every mouthful bursts with flavor. Let the dish caramelize over medium heat for another 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and develop a beautiful glaze on the spareribs.
Sweet and spicy spareribs are an Asian delight that can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home. By following the marinating, simmering, coating, frying, and sauce-making steps outlined in this blog post, you’ll be well on your way to creating a mouthwatering dish that will impress your family and friends. Remember to explore different recipes to find the one that suits your taste preferences, and don’t hesitate to experiment with additional ingredients or cooking techniques to put your own spin on this classic Asian dish. Happy cooking!
Notes on the Ingredients:
Spareribs: The star of the dish, spareribs provide the juicy and tender meat that absorbs the flavors of the marinade and sauce. Choose high-quality spareribs for the best results.
Sweet Chili Sauce: This key ingredient adds the perfect balance of sweetness and spiciness to the dish. It brings a delightful tang and heat that elevates the flavor profile of the spareribs.
Pineapple Juice: Pineapple juice serves as a natural tenderizer and imparts a subtle sweetness to the meat. It also adds a hint of tropical flavor, enhancing the overall taste of the dish.
Sweet and Spicy Spareribs
- 1/2 kilo pork spareribs cut into serving portions
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. flour
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ginger shredded
How to cook Sweet and Spicy Spareribs:
- Marinate spareribs in pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, black pepper and ginger for about 1 hour.
- Simmer ribs with marinade for about 40 minutes or until almost tender. Drain but reserve half cup broth.
- Coat meat with flour. Deep fry until just brown. In a separate pan, combine broth, sweet chili sauce and sesame oil.
- Allow to simmer, then add meat. Stir until meat is evenly coated with sauce.
- Caramelize over medium heat for another 10 minutes. Serve hot. Can be serve as rice topping.
Watch the Video Below on How to Cook Sweet and Spicy Spareribs:
Cooking Tips for Sweet and Spicy Spareribs:
- Marinate for optimal flavor: Allow the spareribs to marinate for at least an hour to let the flavors penetrate the meat. For even more flavorful results, marinate them overnight in the refrigerator.
- Simmer before frying: Simmering the spareribs in the marinade helps tenderize the meat and infuse it with delicious flavors. This step ensures that the spareribs are cooked to perfection before frying.
- Coat evenly for crispy texture: When coating the spareribs with flour, make sure each piece is evenly coated. This ensures a crispy texture and helps seal in the juices, resulting in moist and succulent spareribs.
- Adjust the spice level: If you prefer a milder or spicier taste, feel free to adjust the amount of sweet chili sauce according to your preference. Add more for extra heat or reduce for a milder version.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:444g, Calories:918kcal, From fat:543, Total fat:60.3g, Saturated Fat:19.1g, Trans Fat:0.6g, Cholesterol: 200mg, Sodium: 2870g, Total Carbohydrate: 46g, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 24g, Protein: 45g, Vitamin A: 10%, Vitamin C: 33%, Calcium: 9%, Iron: 24%