A Delicious Twist on a Filipino Classic
Chicken Inasal is a beloved Filipino dish known for its delectable flavors and unique grilling technique. Traditionally, this dish is prepared by skewering chicken pieces on bamboo sticks and grilling them over hot charcoal. If you want to try that version, you can find it here: chicken inasal ala mang inasal. However, in this recipe, we will explore an alternative method using an air fryer. By utilizing this convenient kitchen appliance, you can enjoy the mouthwatering taste of Chicken Inasal without the mess associated with traditional grilling methods. In this blog post, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of cooking Chicken Inasal in an air fryer, providing a helpful resource for both beginners and experienced cooks.
Preparing the Chicken
To begin, it is important to properly prepare the chicken for cooking. Start by trimming any excess fat and removing the tail gland if you are using leg quarters. Rinse the chicken thoroughly under running water, ensuring that all impurities such as small feathers or debris are removed. Place the chicken on a colander to drain any excess water.
Infusing Flavors with the Marinade
The key to the tantalizing taste of Chicken Inasal lies in its marinade. In this recipe, we will be using a marinade that closely resembles the traditional version. Gather the following ingredients: calamansi juice, brown sugar, vinegar, black pepper, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Add these ingredients to a blender and blend them together at the lowest speed for approximately one minute. This will result in a well-mixed marinade, ensuring that all the flavors are evenly combined.
Marinating the Chicken
To allow the chicken to absorb the rich flavors of the marinade, create shallow cuts on the chicken pieces. This will help the marinade penetrate the meat effectively. Place the chicken in a zip lock bag or any food-grade plastic bag, and pour the marinade into the bag. If desired, you can strain the aromatics from the marinade using a sieve before adding it to the bag. For optimal taste, marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator, or at least for a minimum of eight hours.
Cooking in the Air Fryer
Once the marinating process is complete, it’s time to cook the Chicken Inasal in the air fryer. Start by draining the chicken from the marinade. Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and set the timer to 30 minutes at a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit).
Enhancing Flavor and Color
After the initial 15 minutes of cooking, open the air fryer and brush the chicken with achuete oil. This oil will not only add a vibrant color to the chicken but also enhance its flavor profile. Once brushed, return the chicken to the air fryer and continue cooking until the 30-minute timer is up.
Flipping and Finalizing
When the initial cooking time is complete, carefully flip all the chicken pieces using tongs. Brush the chicken again with achuete oil, ensuring that both sides are coated evenly. Cook for an additional 15 minutes in the air fryer to achieve a perfectly tender and flavorful result.
Serving Your Chicken Inasal
The moment has arrived to savor the enticing aroma and taste of your Chicken Inasal. Transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate and pair it with fragrant fried rice to complete the meal. For an extra kick, serve the dish with condiments such as red chili pepper, calamansi, and soy sauce, allowing each individual to customize their flavors according to their preferences.
Cooking Chicken Inasal in an air fryer offers a convenient and mess-free alternative to traditional grilling methods. By following the step-by-step instructions provided in this blog post, you can recreate the delightful flavors of Chicken Inasal in your own kitchen. The tender, succulent chicken infused with the well-balanced marinade will undoubtedly impress your family and friends. Whether you are new to Filipino cuisine or a seasoned cook, this Chicken Inasal Ala Air Fryer recipe is a must-try dish that will leave you craving for more.
Notes on the Ingredients:
Choose high-quality chicken for the best flavor and texture. Consider using bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces for added juiciness and flavor. Adjust cooking times based on the size and thickness of the chicken cuts. For a healthier option, you can opt for skinless chicken or remove the skin before cooking.
Calamansi juice adds a tangy and citrusy flavor to the marinade. If you cannot find calamansi juice, you can substitute it with a combination of lemon and lime juice in equal parts. Adjust the amount of calamansi juice based on personal preference and the desired level of tanginess in the dish.
Lemongrass lends a distinct and refreshing flavor to the marinade. Make sure to remove the tough outer layers and use the tender inner parts of the lemongrass stalk for the best flavor. You can bruise the lemongrass by lightly pounding it with the back of a knife to release its aromatic oils before adding it to the marinade.
Achuete oil, also known as annatto oil, gives the chicken a vibrant reddish color and imparts a subtle earthy flavor. If you don’t have achuete oil, you can make your own by heating oil and infusing it with annatto seeds until it turns red. Strain the seeds before using the oil. Adjust the amount of achuete oil based on personal preference and the desired color intensity of the chicken. Be cautious with the staining potential of achuete oil; it can leave orange stains on clothing or kitchen surfaces.
Chicken Inasal ala Air Fryer
- 3 pcs chicken leg quarter or parts of your choice
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sukang paombong or palm vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper powder
- 2 pcs tanglad or lemongrass chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 inch ginger chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce toyo
- siling labuyo
How to Cook Chicken Inasal air Fryer
- Trim the chicken by removing excess fat and tail gland if your choice of chicken cut is leg quarter.
- Wash the chicken in running water and remove impurities such as small feathers or debris if any. Put on the colander to drain.
- Make a shallow cut on the chicken in order for the chicken to absorb the marinade.
- Put in the blender the following ingredients: calamansi juice, brown sugar, vinegar, black pepper, lemon grass, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.
- Turn on the blender at the lowest speed and blend the ingredients. Blend the ingredients for 1 minute.
- Put the chicken in a zip lock bag or any food grade plastic bag and pour the marinade in it. You may strain the aromatics with a sieve before putting it in the bag.
- Marinate the chicken overnight or at least 8 hours in a refrigerator.
- Then drain the chicken and put in an air fryer. Set the timer to 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
- During the first 15 minutes, open the air fryer and brush the chicken with achuete oil. Then put the chicken back and continue cooking until the 30 minute timer setting is up.
- Turn over all the chicken then brush again with achuete oil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- To serve the chicken inasal, put in a serving plate and serve with fried rice. Serve with condiments also such as red chili pepper, calamansi and soy sauce.
Cooking Tips for Chicken Inasal ala Air Fryer
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Make sure to preheat the air fryer before adding the chicken. This ensures that the cooking temperature is consistent from the start and helps achieve even cooking throughout.
- Don't Overcrowd the Basket: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket with chicken pieces. Leaving enough space between the chicken allows for proper air circulation, resulting in crispy and evenly cooked chicken. If needed, cook the chicken in batches to maintain optimal air flow.
- Baste and Brush: Basting the chicken with achuete oil during the cooking process is crucial for adding flavor and achieving that signature vibrant color. Make sure to brush the chicken evenly on both sides to distribute the oil and enhance its appearance.
- Rest the Chicken: Once the cooking time is complete, allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in juicier and more flavorful meat.
- Garnish and Serve: When serving the Chicken Inasal, consider garnishing it with fresh herbs, such as chopped cilantro or spring onions, to add a pop of freshness. Accompany the dish with steamed rice, pickled vegetables, or a side salad to create a complete and satisfying meal.
Nutrition Notes:Calorie and other nutrition information is derived from HappyFolks.Com recipe nutrition calculator. The percent daily value (%DV) is based on a daily 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Information:Amount per Serving:266g, Calories:302kcal, From fat:72, Total fat:8g, Saturated Fat:2.3g, Trans Fat:0g, Cholesterol: 150mg, Sodium: 1171g, Total Carbohydrate: 24g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 18g, Protein: 31g, Vitamin A: 1%, Vitamin C: 13%, Calcium: 6%, Iron: 12%