I think there is no doubt how Mang Inasal has became a phenomenal success with regard to serving chicken inasal. It has captured the taste and hearts of Pinoys when is comes to grilled chicken. Come to think of it there are many restaurants that are serving chicken inasal and one of the well known before Mang Inasal was born was Bacolod chicken inasal. Well I guess its not only the taste but the marketing strategies was the main driving force of Mang Inasal’s success. The recipe I have here was not exactly their recipe but only a copy cat. It might not taste exactly as the real thing but at least it might resemble on some other aspect. The only thing I notice is their chicken inasal is sweeter than the traditional chicken inasal. And I think it is a hybrid of chicken barbecue and chicken inasal which you might notice on the ingredients below which contains sugar and soy sauce. The traditional chicken inasal is just vinegar, lime, herbs and spices.
How to Cook Mang Inasal Style Chicken Inasal
- 4 pcs. chicken legs with thigh
Ingredients for the marinade:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut vinegar or palm vinegar
- 2 stalks lemongrass chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger chopped
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Ingredients for basting:
- Annatto oil 1/4 cup cooking oil + 1 Tbsp annato seeds
For the dipping sauce:
- soy sauce
- red hot chilies
- calamansi juice
How to cook Mang Inasal Chicken Inasal:
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until all the ingredients are cut into small pieces but don't overdo, just to cut the ingredients to small pieces is sufficient.
- Prick the chicken with sharp bamboo stick so the marinade will be effectively absorbed by the chicken. You can also cut some slits on the chicken if you don't want to prick it.
- In a big zip lock bag or clean plastic container, put the chicken and the marinade and marinate overnight in a refrigerator.
- To make the annato oil, heat the oil and cook annatto seeds until the color is released to the oil. Pour the seeds and the oil in a small bowl and set aside to cool. Let the seeds soak in the oil for a few hours and remove the seeds when the oil is about to be used.
- Before grilling the chicken, soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pass marinade through a strainer. Put the marinade in a bowl and mix with 1 to 2 tablespoons of annatto oil.
- Skewer the chicken with the bamboo sticks and grill the chicken on hot charcoals until cooked on all sides basting it with the mixture of annatto oil and marinade while cooking. Estimate time of cooking is about 20 minutes more or less.
- Serve the chicken inasal with the dipping sauce by mixing soy sauce, calamansi juice and chopped red chilies. Serve also with steaming rice and the annatto oil.
Hi, can this be cooked in a cast iron pan instead of a grill?
Yes I think you can cook it on the cast iron pan.
Thanks for this inasal recipe! It was really good and a close match to Mang Inasal chicken inasal!
Hi Nerissa, I’m glad to know that you liked this inasal recipe! Cheers!