Here is recipe of a Pinoy style beef shawarma. This version uses beef tapa instead of the usual roast beef and the combination of garlic and mayonnaise instead yogurt. But if you prefer, you can use yogurt depending on your preference. In my opinion, beef tapa is simpler to prepare compared to roast beef specially you don’t have an oven because you only need a skillet to cook the beef tapa.
How to Cook Beef Shawarma Filipino Style
- 12 pieces pita bread or tortillas
- beef tapa (see recipe below)
- 4 pcs tomatoes sliced thinly
- 1 small cucumber sliced thinly
- 1 small bunch lettuce sliced into strips
- 1 small white onion sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup grated cheese or 12 pcs sliced cheese
- garlic mayo sauce (see recipe below)
- cooking oil for frying the beef tapa
Beef tapa ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo sirloin beef sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. liquid seasoning
- 3 pcs calamansi extract the juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or 80ml mayonnaise)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
Garlic mayo sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
How to make Beef Shawarma Filipino Style:
- To make the beef tapa, combine all the tapa ingredients in a bowl and marinate overnight or 2 days in a refrigerator for best result. Fry the tapa until cooked and browned.
- To make the garlic sauce, just combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix until smooth and set aside.
- To assemble the shawarma: Heat the pita bread in an empty hot skillet until both sides are light golden brown. Set aside.
- Lay the first pita bread in a plate and put 1 1/2 tablespoon of beef tapa, 1 tablespoon cucumber, 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon onions, 1 tablespoon lettuce, 1 tablespoon grated cheese or sliced cheese and 1 to 2 tablespoon garlic mayo sauce on the center.
- Wrap the filling with the pita bread like a log or a burrito. Do the same on the rest of the pita bread. Add hot sauce if desired.