Beef bulalo mami is a variant of the famous beef mami. The difference is that beef bulalo mami uses beef shank with bone marrow in it which make the dish taste richer and more flavorful than using beef chunks or briskets. The bone and the bone marrow makes this mami dish a winner. Actually, if you have tasted bulalo soup, the only difference it that it is a complete meal because it already has egg noodles and no need to eat it with rice. There are also choices on using the kind of noodles you want to put in this dish. You can either used fresh egg noodles (miki) or the dried egg noodles.
How to Cook Beef Bulalo Mami
- 1 1/2 kilo bone in beef shank with bone marrow sliced to serving pieces
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium Chinese cabbage cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 whole corn on the cob cut into 2 inch pieces
- 200 grams dried egg noodles
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 12 pcs hard-boiled quail eggs
- sliced spring onions
- fried garlic for garnishing
- 1 Tbsp. patis fish sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook beef bulalo mami:
- In a medium size pot, saute garlic and onion until fragrant. The add the beef shank and saute until slightly brown.
- Add water just enough to cover the meat or about 8 cups. Add in the corn and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and remove the scum floating on the broth.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the meat and tendons are tender for about 2 to 3 hours. Add more water if necessary.
- Then add in the bouillon cubes, patis (if desired) and egg noodles. Cook for another 2 minutes. Next add in the Chinese cabbage and cover then simmer for 1 minute more. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- To serve in individual bowls: divide the noodles in serving bowls, add one serving of beef shank, corn and cabbage. Pour some beef broth, add hard boiled quail eggs then garnish with spring onions and fried garlic. Serve hot.
Looking forward to cook this beef bulalo mami very soon! Thanks for this recipe!
Hi Gerry, I’m sure you can cook it perfectly! Thanks for your comment!