This recipe is a home made version of the popular garlic pepper beef or sometime called garlic pepper steak from Jollibee. In my opinion, this is more like a modern version of beef tapa. And what makes this dish savory and mouth watering is the gravy. You will not believe how easy it is too cook this dish.
Preparing the Garlic Pepper Beef
All you have to do is marinate the beef with soy sauce and stir fry it until cooked. Since the beef is thinly sliced, it doesn’t need a long time to cook it. Cooking it too long will make the beef tough and chewy. The gravy is also simple to make and just needs a little technique to bring out the taste of the beef.
You need to make roux or paste out of melted butter and flour by cooking it in a pan and whisk it until it turns into a paste. Then pour the broth and the rest of the gravy ingredients until thick enough. Just combining the butter, flour, broth, spiced and cooking it will not tastes as good as the technique of making a roux first when cooking the gravy.
NOTES ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS:
A popular part of the beef and it is known for its flavorful texture. This cut is from the hind quarter of a cow close to the hips. When cooked in a proper way, it will give a juicy and tasty flavor that is perfect for any occasion. It is usually cooked as a steak which is seared to lock the flavors then grilled or cooked in the oven. Beef sirloin can also be sliced thin for easy to cook dishes like stir-fry or samgyupsal or slow cooked as a succulent and tender roast.
Is a popular condiment used in many Asian countries for their cuisines. It is known for it’s savory sweet flavor. Oyster sauce is made by boiling shelled oysters until the mixture becomes thick in consistency, It is commonly used as an ingredient in marinades and stir-fry dishes. The rich umami flavor pairs well in seafoods, poultry, vegetables and rice dishes.
It adds a distinct flavor to any dishes which makes it popular choice among cooks and ordinary people likes us who wants to cook. Oyster sauce can be bought in most supermarkets or grocery stores. It is an easy way to enhance the flavor of any dishes. Whether you are as chef or a home cook, this condiment should be part of your kitchen pantry.
How to Cook Garlic Pepper Beef Jollibee Style
- 1/2 kilo beef sirloin sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
Ingredients for gravy:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 Knorr beef cube
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper powder
- 1 head garlic peeled, minced and sliced
How to cook Garlic Pepper Beef:
- In a small bowl, combine beef with soy sauce and oyster sauce then massage the meat in a squeezing motion using your hands. Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the beef in medium heat until it turns brown. Transfer into a serving plate.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a pan in medium heat and add the flour. Whisk continuously until it turns in to a roux or paste. Add beef cube and water then continue to whisk.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper and continue to whisk and cook until it turns into a gravy. Add more water if the gravy becomes too thick.
- Add the beef in the pan and stir. Add fried garlic then serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
- (To make fried garlic, fry the chopped garlic in cooking oil until brown.)
Kuya thank you po sa recipe. Pero hindi po ako pwedeng gumamit nang flour at oyster sauce ano po and pwede kong pag substitute?
Hi Lalia, Pwede naman wag na lagyan ng oyster sauce. Pero yung flour, may allergy ba sa flour yung kakain? Wla kong maisip na substitute sa flour. Di ko sure kunng pwede cornstarch.
Correction: In some of the comments below, star ratings were mistakenly included. These have now been removed for transparency. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
I want to try this it’s look like yummy!
Try it! Watch also the youtube video!
I want to try and cook this burger steak recipe tonight. Thanks for the recipe!
Hi Tom, thanks for your comment and hope it turns out well!