This recipe is a home made version of the popular garlic pepper beef or sometime called garlic pepper steak from Jollibee. In my opinion, this is more like a modern version of beef tapa. And what makes this dish savory and mouth watering is the gravy. You will not believe how easy it is too cook this dish. All you have to do is marinate the beef with soy sauce and stir fry it until cooked. Since the beef is thinly sliced, it doesn’t need a long time to cook it. Cooking it too long will make the beef tough and chewy. The gravy is also simple to make and just needs a little technique to bring out the taste of the beef. You need to make roux or paste out of melted butter and flour by cooking it in a pan and whisk it until it turns into a paste. Then pour the broth and the rest of the gravy ingredients until thick enough. Just combining the butter, flour, broth, spiced and cooking it will not tastes as good as the technique of making a roux first when cooking the gravy.
How to Cook Garlic Pepper Beef Jollibee Style
- 1/2 kilo beef sirloin sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
Ingredients for gravy:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth dissolve beef cube in 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. fried toasted garlic
How to cook Garlic Pepper Beef:
- In a small bowl, combine beef with soy sauce and massage the meat in a squeezing motion using your hands. Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the beef in medium heat until it turns brown. Transfer into a serving plate.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a pan in medium heat and add the flour. Whisk continuously until it turns in to a roux or paste. Add in half of the beef stock and continue to whisk.
- Then add the remaining beef stock then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper and continue to whisk and cook until it turns into a gravy. Add more beef stock if the gravy becomes too thick.
- Pour the gravy on the beef and garnish with fried garlic. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
- (To make fried garlic, fry the chopped garlic in cooking oil until brown.)