Kalderetang labahita is actually a fish caldereta and I think this is the easiest version of caldereta I’ve seen. Ingredients are also simple and easy to find and using caldereta mix to hasten the cooking process. Fish is also healthier compared to beef, pork or chicken so even if you overeat it’s not as worry some compared to eating red meat with fat.
1 & 1/4 kilo Labahita fillets, cut into chunks
2 pcs calamansi or 1 pc lemon, extract the juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
cooking oil for frying
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pc onion, chopped
1 pc potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. kaldereta mix powder dissolved in 1 cup water
1 pc green bell pepper, sliced into strips or square
1 tsp. fine salt
How to cook Kalderetang Labahita:
- Sprinkle fish with calamansi juice and mix to coat the fish well.
- Dredge in flour and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat oil and saute garlic and onion, then follow the potatoes and carrots.
- Stir fry until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add water and simmer for a few minutes then pour the kaldereta mix.
- Season with salt then add bell peppers and simmer again for a few seconds.
- Add the fried fish and simmer again for a few minutes. Serve hot.