This chicken caldereta is a cheesier version of the usual chicken caldereta. Not only does is taste cheesier but the addition of pickles makes this dish tastier with a little sweet sour taste that you will truly love. The vegetables like potatoes and carrots are optional if you are not fond of eating them. Besides, meat and potatoes are not really a good combination for health reasons because those two are hard to digest.
Anyway chicken meat is easier to digest so I think it will not harm you if you combine them in your calderata dish. By the way, I discovered using the back part of the chicken is tastier when cooking this dish but it has lots of bones compared to legs and thigh.
How to Cook Cheesy Chicken Caldereta with Pickles
- 1 kilo chicken your choice of parts, chop into serving pieces
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small can liver spread
- 1 pc onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup sliced pickles or pickle relish
- 1/2 cup grated cheese or cheese whiz
- 2 small potatoes peeled and quartered (optional)
- 1 small carrot sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 pcs red chili pepper optional
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce
- 1 tsp. granulated seasoning optional
How to cook Cheesy Chicken Caldereta with Pickles:
- In a small pan, fry the potatoes until slightly brown and half cooked. Set aside.
- In the same pan, leave just 2 Tbsp. of oil in the pan and saute garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken pieces and saute until the skin in slightly brown then add the patis and pickles.
- Stir cook for about 1 minute and then add the tomato sauce and water.
- Simmer until the chicken is cooked and tender. Add in the liver spread, chilies and carrots. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the potatoes and cheese and simmer for another 2 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice.