This is a special kind of beef caldereta combined with cheese and chorizo. Not only it is cheesier than the ordinary beef caldereta, it also has a distinctive taste of chorizo and pitted olives which makes this a kind of gourmet caldereta. At first when I looked at this recipe, I was wondering why it has pork liver which is a usual ingredient it menudo. But I remember when we cook caldereta, we put liver spread which is also made out of pork liver. Using chopped pork liver instead of liver spread will make the dish more flavorful because most liver spread have extenders and other innards of animals aside from pork liver. So I’m sure you will love this cheesy caldereta dish.
How to Cook Cheesy Beef Caldereta with Chorizo
- 1 kilo beef tenderloin cut into cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 kilo pork liver
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1 pc long Spanish chorizo cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook Beef Caldereta with Chorizo:
- Put beef in a large pot and pour water just enough to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer. Remove the scum floating above the broth then cover. Let it simmer for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile broil the pork liver until medium rare. Grind or chop finely. Combine liver with cheese, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, bell peppers and olives. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add in the onions and saute until soft. Then add in the chorizo and mix.
- Stir in liver mixture and simmer for about 15 minutes or until mixture turns lighter in color.
- Pour liver mixture into the beef in the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens and beef is already tender. Add some water if the sauce becomes too dry while simmering the beef.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!