Goat Meat Stew – Caldereta de Cabrito
This classic slow-simmered caldereta uses excellent ingredients starting with red wine and finishing with brandy. The thickening agent is also authentic as it uses bread crumbs which stems from a medieval practice.
1 kilo goat meat
1 bottle red wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 big onion, sliced
1/3 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup brine of green olives
1/2 cup tomato, boiled, peeled , seeded and chopped finely
dash of parika picante
1 tablespoon grated Edam cheese
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
10 green olives
2 lightly roasted green and red bell peppers, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons brandy
1 tablespoon sherry
How to cook the goat meat stew:
- Marinate the goat meat in red wine for half a day.
- Boil the meat in water until tender. Reserve the stock.
- In olive oil, saute in garlic and onion. Brown the meat.
- Add the tomato paste, olive brine and tomato. Simmer until meat is tender.
- Season with paprika. If the sauce reduces, add goat stock and wine.
- Thicken sauce with cheese and bread crumbs. Add olives and peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add brandy and sherry and continue to simmer until cooked.