This recipe is scad fish or galunggong cooked in vinegar and coconut milk. There are ways of cooking it in a pot. Either you can use stainless steel pot which is recommended rather than using aluminum or iron pot because it may affect the taste because of the vinegar.
But using a claypot is much better because it will give you a distinctive taste specially if you will line the bottom of the pot with wilted banana leaves to prevent burning the fish.
How to Cook Ginataang Galunggong (Scad Fish in Coconut Milk)
- 1/2 kilo fresh galunggong medium sized
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 native green pepper long
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vetsin or MSG
- 1 tbsp. ginger minced
- 1 and 1/2 cup coconut cream thick
How to cook Ginataang Galunggong
- Clean galunggong, arrange in a shallow pan.
- Add salt, vinegar, water, pepper, ginger and vetsin.
- Boil, do not stir. Cook for 5 minutes. Add coconut cream.
- Stir gently so the cream would not curdle.
- When it boils, cover and lower heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes and until sauce thickens.