Another variation of the beef caldereta is the cheesy beef caldereta. Of course the obvious ingredients here is cheese, in fact, quick melt cheese is used. But I think ordinary cheese would suffice in cooking this caldereta because it will melt anyway when you cook it.
And another ingredient here not usually found in most local caldereta dish is the olives. You can omit it anyway if that seems to be an overkill or too expensive. You can replace it with sliced pickles because the sour and sweet taste is almost identical. And the caldereta dishes that my wife is cooking always have pickles which enhances the taste.
How To Cook Beef Caldereta with Cheese
- 3/4 kilo beef sirloin or briskets (or caldereta cut beef cubes) sliced into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pc onion minced
- 7 to 10 cups water
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 pcs pcs bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 pcs pcs birds eye chili or siling labuyo chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 3/4 cup quick melt cheese grated
- 2 pcs bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 pc carrot sliced
- 1 pc large potato sliced
How To Cook Cheesy Beef Caldereta
- Heat oil in a pan and fry potatoes and carrots until brown. Set aside.
- Add in beef and fry until brown. In the same pan reduce oil to 2 Tbsp. and saute garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add the beef and stir for a few seconds. Pour water, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer until meat is tender.
- Add in tomato paste, tomato sauce, chili, liver spread and peanut butter and cook for 5 minutes while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add in grated cheese, carrots and potatoes, bell peppers and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.