Sweet and Sour Fishballs
This fish ball recipe is made from flaked dalagang bukid or redbelly fusilier which is very common in our local wet market. Unlike the fish balls sold by street vendors which consist mainly of flour, this recipe doesn’t have flour nor cornstarch. Sweet potatoes, breadcrumbs and eggs are used as binders to form it into balls and create this tasty appetizer.
- 1 kilo dalagang bukid ( Redbelly fusilier or double lined fusilier)
- 1 medium ginger, crushed
- 1 large carrot chopped
- ½ kilo sweet potato or kamote, boiled and mashed
- 7 stalks green onions, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 can (336 g) Pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve syrup)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1 large (100g) red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 7 stalks green onion, cut into 1 inch long pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Boil fish with ginger in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Drain. Flake meat and discard bones.Season with 1 and ½ tsp. iodized salt (or 1 and ½ Tbsp. rock salt), 2 Tbsp. soy sauce ans 1 tsp. pepper.
- Blend well with the rest of the ingredients. Form every teaspoon of mixture into a ball. Fry until golden brown.
- For the sauce: Combine the first 5 ingredients . Simmer. Add dissolved cornstarch and simmer, stirring constantly until cooked. Add bell pepper and green onions. Pour over fishballs just before serving.