Special Pancit Palabok with Crab Meat
Pancit palabok is a Filipino noodle dish very similar to pancit malabon and pancit luglug. The only diference of pancit palabok from pancit malabon is that the noodles used are thick and the texture is usually dry. Pancit luglug also use the palabok sauce but the noodles are thick whereas the pancit palabok use thin rice noodles or bihon.
There are also some who use cornstarch noodles and it is already commercially available. Also before I forget, this special palabok recipe has crab meat and crab fat so I think this is a must try recipe. The seafood garnishing may vary according to your preferences. The garnishing list of ingredients here are squid adobo, flaked fish and cooked shelled shrimps.
- ½ kilo palabok noodles or rice noodles
- squid adobo
- flaked fish meat (flaked tinapa)
- pork chicharon, coarsely pounded
- powdered pork chicharon
- fried minced garlic
- cooked shrimps, shelled
- hard boiled eggs, sliced
- chopped spring onion
- ½ kilo fresh small crabs (with soft shell if there are any available)
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ cups water
- 3 Tbsp. anatto (atchuete) seeds or 2 Tbsp. anatto oil or 1 Tbsp. anatto powder
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce or patis
- 1 tsp. MSG or granulated seasoning
- Boil 4 cups of water and add a little salt. Put noodles in a strainer and dip in boiling water for 5 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- You can also follow the instructions on the packing if there are any instructions available.
- Drain and transfer to a plate.
- To make the palabok sauce, wash crabs, open up and extract fat from the top shell then squeeze out the crab meat from the body.
- Set fat and meat aside. Then pound crab and squeeze juice in 1 and ½ cup water. Set aside.
- Saute garlic till brown, then add onion. Add crab fat and meat then season with patis.
- Stir cook for 2 minutes then add crab juice. Season with patis and MSG.
- Then let to a boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add dissolved cornstarch, stir until it thickens.
- Get the palabok noodles and top with garnishing. Then pour palabok sauce on top.
- Garnish with cooked eggs and chopped spring onions.