This recipe is similar to the pinaputok na tilapia and the method of cooking is quite the same. Which is, by stuffing the fish with the combination of onion, tomatoes, patis, celery and ground pepper then wrapping it with banana leaves and frying it. This dish version uses bangus as a substitute to tilapia and with one additional ingredient, that is, the salted egg. You will be amazed with just one simple ingredient will make this dish level up to the next level of deliciousness. I also didn’t expect the improvement of the taste when I first tried it. Just don’t forget to cook a lot of rice when you serve it because when your family or friends tasted it, they ask for extra rice! No kidding!
How to Cook Pinaputok na Bangus
- 1 piece medium size bangus butterflied, innards, gills, bones and scales removed
- 1 piece salted egg chopped
- 1 piece red onion chopped
- 2 pcs ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. patis
- banana leaf for wrapping
- cooking oil for frying
How to Cook Pinaputok na Bangus:
- Cut the bangus at the dorsal or back side from head to tail. Then clean it by removing scales, bones, innards and gills.
- Wash and drain and put in the colander to drain excess water until dry.
- In a bowl, combine chopped salted egg, onion, celery, tomatoes, patis and ground black pepper.
- Cut a piece of banana leaf into 1 foot long then wash and wipe dry. Lay the banana leaf on a clean surface.
- Put the butterflied bangus on top of the banana leaf. Then stuff it with the tomatoes-salted egg mixture by putting it in the center of the fish from head to tail.
- Fold the bangus to wrap the mixture and roll it in the banana leaf to wrap the fish.
- Tie the head, tail and the center part of the fish with pieces of banana leaf.
- Heat 2 to 3 cups of cooking oil in a big wok or kawali that can fit the bangus.
- Put in the bangus and fry then cover immediately to avoid oil splatters. Fry until the cracking noise of the hot oil is almost gone.
- Then turn the fish to fry the other side also. When cooked, remove from the wok and transfer to a plate.
- Remove the banana leaf from the fish and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or side dish.