Patong Relleno (Stuffed Duck)
This recipe is also applicable to chicken. Boil the stuffed bird in dried chicken stock. Punch little holes in the thighs to prevent the skin from breaking during boiling. Simmer until tender and the sauce base becomes thick and tasty. Then roast and brown it in the oven.
4 tablespoons butter
2 onions (one onion cubed, the other quartered)
250-300 grams button mushrooms, quartered
250 grams ham, cubed
500 grams liempo (pork belly) ground
1 whole duck (native or other variety)
salt to taste
black peppercorns, crushed
oil for frying
2 to 2-1/2 liters chicken or duck stock
1 leek stalk, cut in half
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup sherry or brandy
1 whole medium pechay (Chinese cabbage)
How to cook Patong Relleno:
- In a saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons butter and saute onions, mushrooms, ham and pork belly until onions are soft. Strain and reserve the juice. Let cool.
- Rub duck inside out with 1 tablespoon butter, salt and pepper. Stuff and truss duck.
- Heat oil and deep fry duck until skin is browned.
- Remove from oil and in another pan, braise with reserved juice.
- Add stock, leek stalk and bay leaves. Braise in low heat until duck is cooked.
- Season with salt, pepper and sherry.
- Braise pechay with stock until half done. Arrange the vegetables to garnish platter.
- Simmer the remaining braising liquid and serve as sauce.
- When cooked, keep the bird warm. Serve sliced over pechay.