A tasty and simple to cook chicken pastel using readily available ingredients which you can find in your local supermarket. It required no baking and no need to top it with pastry crust. That is why it is a Pinoy style chicken pastel. Although this is a Pinoy style, we tried to use dried Chinese mushroom which makes this dish taste better that using canned button mushrooms. I also think the Vienna sausage is a must for this chicken pastel dish but some are using hotdogs which is quite okay. But I think using chicken hotdog is better because it mimics the Vienna sausage in color and texture than the red colored hotdogs.
Chicken Pastel Pinoy Style
- 1 kilo chicken cut into serving pieces
- 2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 medium sized carrots peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 large bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 small can Vienna sausage drained and cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 cup dried Chinese mushrooms soaked in hot water and sliced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 medium sized onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Eden cheese grated
- 1 tsp. chicken powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 small pack all purpose cream 125ml
How to cook Pinoy Chicken Pastel:
- Put chicken in a bowl and add salt and pepper. Mix the well until the chicken is well coated. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat cooking oil and saute onion and garlic until the fragrant.
- Then add chicken and saute for 1 minute. Then add the mushroom and saute again for a few seconds. Then cover.
- Let it simmer for a minute then add the chicken powder. Stir and cover again and let it simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Then add the carrots and potatoes. Stir then cover and let it simmer until the potatoes and carrots are almost tender.
- Then add the bell pepper, Vienna sausage, milk, all-purpose cream and cheese. Bring to a boil and stir.
- Simmer for 2 minutes more then turn off heat. Serve hot with steaming rice.
Watch the Video Below on How to Cook Chicken Pastel Pinoy Style: