Mexican Cheese Sticks
Turn your ordinary cheese sticks into a taco and pork and beans flavor Mexican inspired cheese sticks. I’m sure this will be a very good appetizer and can be served while drinking beer or your favorite beverages. This can be eaten without a dipping sauce because all the flavor is inside the cheese sticks wrappers. But you can use catsup or mayonnaise or both.
390 gram can pork and beans, drained and mashed
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. mild chili powder
1 tsp. taco seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
30 medium-sized lumpia (springroll) wrappers
225 gram bar of cheese, sliced into 30 sticks
Cooking oil for deep frying
How to make Mexican Cheese Sticks:
- In a bowl, combine mashed pork and beans, tomato paste, chili powder, taco seasoning, and salt to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Place a piece of lumpia wrapper on a plate. Spread a teaspoonful of seasoned pork and beans mixture on the lower part of the wrapper.
- Place a stick of cheese horizontally on the mixture, roll the wrapper tightly over the cheese, fold in the sides, then continue rolling until cheese is tightly wrapped.
- Brush the edges with water to seal. Repeat with the remaining cheese and lumpia wrappers.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to achieve a crisp outer layer.
- When ready to cook, heat 2 inches deep of oil in the pan. Then drop cheese sticks in oil, leaving enough room for turning.
- Fry until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with or without your favorite dipping sauce.