Oxtail Kare Kare
Kare-kare is one of the well known and popular Filipino dishes served in special occasions but nowadays this can be served almost everyday if it is within your budget and if your health can tolerate this kind of diet.
This kare-kare recipe is authentic because it uses oxtail as the main ingredient which is expensive compared to the other kare-kare variation that use only ox tripe, beef or pork knuckles. And this recipe use the traditional ground peanuts and toasted rice instead of peanut butter which are commonly used nowadays in cooking kare kare.
- 1 pc. oxtail (buntot ng baka)
- 1 pc. oxleg (pata ng baka)
- 4 pcs. eggplants
- 2 bundles sitaw or stringbeans
- 1 bundle pechay
- ¼ head cabbage
- 6 cup water
- ½ cup achueta seed for coloring (diluted in ½ cup water)
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup ground peanuts
- 1 cup toasted ground rice
- salt, vein
- banana blossoms
- Boil the oxtail and oxleg in water until tender. Cut into desired pieces and set aside.
- Soak achuete seeds in water. Squeeze to bring out the coloring.
- Set aside. Cut vegetables into desired pieces. Boil water, drop sitaw and parboil.
- Remove sitaw and set aside. Do likewise to egg- plant and banana blossom.
- Saute garlic and onion in cooking oil and add salt and achuete juice.
- Let boil for 5 minutes. Blend in ground peanuts, and toasted ground rice.
- Bring to a boil then add in the meats. Just before removing from the fire, add the vegetables.
- Serve with bagoong alamang guisado. Serve hot. Good for 10 persons.