Coconut Chicken Lettuce
Lettuce is usually eaten raw and mixed with salads and sandwiches and the only Filipino food I know that contains lettuce is the fresh lumpia. Seldom have I seen Filipino cooked dishes that contains lettuce specially in a dish like ginataang manok or chicken with coconut milk. If you will cook this dish, it is better to make the lettuce only half-cooked or almost raw to retain the crunchy texture of the lettuce.
1 whole medium size dressed chicken
4 red chili peppers (siling labuyo)
1 head garlic, crushed
2 medium sized onion, chopped
1 inch ginger, slivered
2/3 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper
1 pc Knorr chicken cube
How to cook coconut chicken lettuce:
- Clean and cut the chicken into serving pieces.
- Saute onion, garlic and ginger. The add the chicken and stir-fry for at least 3 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk. Then add the pepper, red chili pepper and knorr cubes.
- Cover and simmer until the sauce becomes thick in consistency.
- Then add the lettuce and simmer for half a minute and serve hot.