Delicious and Healthy Chicken Bistek
Chicken bistek is a delightful twist on the traditional beef bistek dish, offering a healthier alternative that requires less cooking time. This flavorful recipe involves marinating the chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, calamansi juice, and pepper, followed by sautéing and cooking it in its own marinade until tender. The addition of onion rings, a common ingredient in bistek dishes, gives it a distinctive and appetizing appeal. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dish, give chicken bistek a try and experience its mouthwatering flavors firsthand.
Marinating the Chicken:
To infuse the chicken with its delightful flavors, begin by combining the chicken, calamansi juice, soy sauce, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, ensuring the chicken is evenly coated. Allow the chicken to marinate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Marinating the chicken for an extended period allows the flavors to penetrate deeply, resulting in a more delicious and succulent dish.
Sautéing the Onion Rings:
Heat oil and butter in a pan or wok, and sauté the onion rings until they turn transparent. The sautéed onions lend a sweet and savory taste to the dish, enhancing its overall flavor profile. Once the onions are cooked, remove them from the pan and set them aside for later use.
Cooking the Chicken:
Using the same pan, sauté the garlic until its fragrance fills the air, adding a delightful aroma to the dish. Next, remove the chicken from the marinade and add it to the pan. Stir-fry the chicken for approximately 2 minutes to seal in its flavors and achieve a golden-brown exterior.
Simmering to Perfection:
Pour the marinade over the chicken, along with a sprinkle of magic sarap, and add a small amount of water. Cover the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken becomes tender and succulent. The simmering process allows the chicken to absorb the marinade flavors fully, resulting in a mouthwatering dish.
Adjusting the Seasonings:
During the simmering process, take the opportunity to adjust the seasonings according to your personal preference. You can add a touch of sugar to balance the flavors or increase the amount of water to achieve your desired consistency. This step allows you to customize the dish to suit your taste preferences, ensuring a truly satisfying culinary experience.
Presentation and Serving:
Once the chicken is cooked to perfection, turn off the heat and transfer it to a serving platter. To add visual appeal and enhance the flavors further, garnish the dish with the sautéed onion rings set aside earlier. The vibrant colors of the onions make the dish visually appealing and also contribute to its overall taste. Serve the chicken bistek while still hot to fully enjoy its rich flavors and tender texture.
Chicken bistek offers a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional bistek recipes, with a shorter cooking time and a burst of delightful flavors. By marinating the chicken and cooking it in its own marinade, you ensure each bite is infused with a perfect balance of soy sauce, calamansi juice, and pepper. The sautéed onion rings not only add a distinctive touch to the dish but also provide a visually appealing presentation. Next time you’re planning your menu, consider trying this flavorful chicken bistek recipe and prepare to be amazed by its delicious taste. Don’t forget to share your experience in the comments below!
Chicken Bistek Recipe
- 1 kilo chicken thigh deboned or bone-in
- 2 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium sized onions sliced into rings
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Maggie magic sarap optional
How to cook Chicken Bistek:
- In a bowl, combine chicken, calamansi, soy sauce, salt and black pepper. Mix and marinate the chicken for a 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a pan or wok, heat oil and butter and saute the onion rings until transparent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic until fragrant. Then remove the chicken from the marinade and put in the pan. Stir fry the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Pour the marinade, magic sarap and a little water and cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until the chicken is tender. Add water and adjust the seasonings according to your preference by adding sugar if necessary.
- Turn off heat and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with onions rings and serve hot.
Cooking Tips for Chicken Bistek:
- Marinate for Maximum Flavor: To ensure your chicken bistek is bursting with flavor, marinate the chicken for an extended period. Allow the chicken to soak in a mixture of soy sauce, calamansi juice, salt, and black pepper for at least 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. This will infuse the chicken with the delicious marinade flavors, resulting in a more succulent and tasty dish.
- Sear for Golden Brown Goodness: When cooking the chicken bistek, give it a quick sear in the pan after removing it from the marinade. Searing helps lock in the flavors and creates a beautiful golden brown crust on the chicken. This step adds an extra layer of texture and enhances the overall visual appeal of the dish.
- Adjust Seasonings to Taste: While simmering the chicken bistek, take the opportunity to adjust the seasonings according to your personal preference. Taste the dish and add additional soy sauce, calamansi juice, or sugar to achieve the desired balance of flavors. Don't be afraid to experiment and make it your own. Adjusting the seasonings ensures that the chicken bistek perfectly suits your taste buds and guarantees a satisfying culinary experience.