This is one of the many variation of chicken alexander and it is adapted to the Pinoy taste. As you will notice it doesn’t have usual cheese and cream of mushroom soup. This is suited to those people who doesn’t like cheese. But if you insist of putting cheese on it, you can add grated quick melt cheese on top of the mixture before baking.
1 and 1/2 cup water
1 whole chicken
2 onions, quartered
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. margarine
1 onion chopped
1 chopped red bell pepper
2 small carrots diced
2 pcs. Chorizo de Bilbao, sliced thinly
1/2 cup chicken broth
6 medium size potatoes
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 slightly beaten egg
asparagus tips and green
peas for garnishing cooked in salt and water and mashed
How to cook chicken alexander:
- Boil the chicken with the first four ingredients for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bones and dice the chicken meat. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, sauté the onion in the margarine.
- Add the chicken; stir a while, before adding the chicken broth.
- Season to taste. Arrange the mixture in a round Pyrex dish.
- Arrange one layer of asparagus tips on the top or toss in one cup green peas. Set aside.
- To the mashed potato add 1/2 cup margarine, milk, beaten egg and seasonings.
- Mash until smooth. Put on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake in a preheated 350 °F oven for 20 minutes or until top is slightly brown.
- Good for 8 persons.