The recipe below is a very simple to cook sweet and sour Chinese dish. Its so easy because all you need is to fry the chicken fillet, of course you have to dip it in batter first which is also very simple, then fry them until golden brown. Then just combining the sauce ingredients in a pan and cook for as few minutes. Then toss in the chicken and the veggies then presto! You have as delectable and tasty sweet and sour chicken dish.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet – A Chowking Style Delight
If you’ve ever savored the flavors of sweet and sour chicken at a Chinese restaurant and wondered how to recreate this delicious dish at home, you’re in for a treat. In this recipe, we will guide you through the steps to prepare mouthwatering Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet, inspired by the flavors of Chowking. This dish is surprisingly simple to make, and you’ll be amazed at how closely it replicates the delightful flavors of your favorite takeout.
Marinating the Chicken
Before we dive into the cooking process, it’s essential to marinate the chicken fillet for that extra burst of flavor. The secret ingredient here is rice wine, which infuses the meat with a subtle depth of taste. Simply marinate the chicken fillet in rice wine for about 5 to 10 minutes. This step sets the foundation for the delicious sweet and sour flavors to come.
Creating the Batter
The crispy coating of the chicken fillet is what makes this dish so delectable. To achieve that perfect crunch, we’ll create a simple batter that’s both light and flavorful.
First, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. These ingredients work in harmony to give the chicken fillet a crispy and golden finish. Mix them thoroughly to ensure the batter is consistent and lump-free.
Once the dry ingredients are well combined, add water to the mix. Whisk the mixture until it turns into a smooth batter with no lumps. This step is crucial for achieving the perfect texture on the chicken fillet.
Frying the Chicken
With the batter ready, it’s time to bring on the sizzle. Heat cooking oil in a deep pan for deep frying. The secret to achieving that satisfying crunch is to dip each chicken piece in the batter before they hit the hot oil.
Fry the chicken fillet until they turn a beautiful golden brown. As they cook, the batter will create a delectable outer layer while the chicken inside remains tender and juicy. Once fried to perfection, remove the fillets from the oil and drain them on paper towels, allowing any excess oil to be absorbed. Set them aside for the grand assembly.
Preparing the Sweet and Sour Sauce
The heart of any sweet and sour dish is its sauce. For our Chowking-style Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet, we’ll prepare a sauce that’s bursting with flavor.
Start by heating 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a saucepan or skillet. Saute the minced garlic until it turns a lovely shade of golden brown. The aroma of garlic will infuse the sauce, enhancing its richness.
Then, introduce the colorful bell peppers and onions to the mix. These vegetables not only provide a visual feast but also contribute to the overall flavor profile. Saute them until they become fragrant, which should take about a minute.
Now, it’s time to create the sweet and sour sauce. It’s a delightful fusion of various ingredients, each adding its unique taste to the dish. Mix together ketchup, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, sugar, water, cornstarch slurry, and a dash of white pepper. Stir these elements together until the sauce thickens to perfection.
Bringing It All Together
The final step is bringing all these carefully prepared components together. Toss the fried chicken fillets into the fragrant sweet and sour sauce, along with pineapple chunks and freshly chopped spring onions.
Gently stir everything until the chicken fillets are thoroughly coated with the sauce. The pineapple adds a touch of tropical sweetness and acidity to the dish, creating a delightful balance. The spring onions provide a fresh and vibrant finish.
Now, your Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet is ready to shine. Serve it hot, accompanied by a plate of steamed rice, and savor the delightful blend of flavors and textures.
Creating Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet, reminiscent of Chowking’s signature style, is easier than you might think. This recipe showcases how you can make a scrumptious restaurant-quality dish right in your own kitchen. By marinating the chicken, creating a flavorful batter, and preparing a savory sweet and sour sauce, you can achieve a delightful meal that’s sure to impress your family and friends.
Whether it’s for a special occasion or a cozy night in, this Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet recipe is a wonderful addition to your culinary repertoire. Plus, the use of rice wine, a unique batter, and a well-balanced sauce sets this dish apart, making it a true culinary masterpiece. Enjoy your homemade Chowking-style Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet, and revel in the taste of a classic Chinese dish brought to life in your kitchen.
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet (Chowking Style)
- 500 grams chicken fillet breast or thigh part, cut into large cubes
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine (or gin) optional
- 2 medium size red and green bell peppers slice into wedges
- 2 Tbsp spring onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium size white onion slice into wedges
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- Cooking oil for deep frying
For the Batter:
- ½ cup potato flour or rice flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp baking powder
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 tsp. plum sauce optional
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese rice vinegar or cane vinegar
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. corn starch dissolve 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper powder
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet
- Marinate the chicken fillet in rice wine for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix the batter ingredients. Combine the dry ingredients first: flour, cornstarch, baking powder then mix the dry ingredients.
- Then add water and whisk until it becomes a smooth batter and the lumps are gone.
- Heat cooking oil for deep frying in a deep pan. Then dip each chicken pieces in the batter before frying them.
- Fry the chicken fillet until golden brown. Then remove from oil and drain using paper towels lined in a plate. Set aside.
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and saute the garlic until slightly brown.
- Then follow the bell peppers and onions then saute until fragrant or about 1 minute.
- Then add the sweet sour sauce ingredients (catsup, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, sugar, water, cornstarch slurry and white pepper) and stir until the sauce is thick.
- Toss in the fried chicken fillet, pineapple chunks and spring onions. Stir until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips for Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet:
- Marinating for Flavor: For an extra burst of flavor, marinate the chicken fillets in rice wine for 5 to 10 minutes before frying to infuse them with a subtle depth of taste.
- Crispy Batter: To achieve the perfect crispy coating, ensure the batter is smooth and lump-free by thoroughly mixing the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, and baking powder) before adding water.
- Balancing the Sauce: When preparing the sweet and sour sauce, taste and adjust the sweetness and tanginess by tweaking the quantities of sugar and vinegar to suit your personal preference.