The recipe below is a very simple to cook sweet and sour Chinese dish. Its so easy because all you need is to fry the chicken fillet, of course you have to dip it in batter first which is also very simple, then fry them until golden brown. Then just combining the sauce ingredients in a pan and cook for as few minutes. Then toss in the chicken and the veggies then presto! You have as delectable and tasty sweet and sour chicken dish.
Basically, the sweet and sour pork and fish fillet in Chowking fastfood chains have a big similarity in most Chinese sweet and sour meat dishes and this one I have here taste almost the same. And I think this the sweet and sour chicken is a new addition to their menu. Anyway you might not agree that this recipe will taste the same, but I hope you will not notice the difference. Also, the method I used in making the batter is combining the potato flour or rice flour with cornstarch. The reason is potato flour and rice flour makes fried chicken crispier and crunchier than using all-purpose flour which are used in most Korean style fried chicken. But is you want it less crispier then use all-purpose flour.
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet (Chowking Style)
- 500 grams chicken fillet breast or thigh part, cut into large cubes
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine (or gin) optional
- 2 medium size red and green bell peppers slice into wedges
- 2 Tbsp spring onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium size white onion slice into wedges
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- Cooking oil for deep frying
For the Batter:
- ½ cup potato flour or rice flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp baking powder
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 tsp. plum sauce optional
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese rice vinegar or cane vinegar
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. corn starch dissolve 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper powder
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillet
- Marinate the chicken fillet in rice wine for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix the batter ingredients. Combine the dry ingredients first: flour, cornstarch, baking powder then mix the dry ingredients.
- Then add water and whisk until it becomes a smooth batter and the lumps are gone.
- Heat cooking oil for deep frying in a deep pan. Then dip each chicken pieces in the batter before frying them.
- Fry the chicken fillet until golden brown. Then remove from oil and drain using paper towels lined in a plate. Set aside.
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and saute the garlic until slightly brown.
- Then follow the bell peppers and onions then saute until fragrant or about 1 minute.
- Then add the sweet sour sauce ingredients (catsup, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, sugar, water, cornstarch slurry and white pepper) and stir until the sauce is thick.
- Toss in the fried chicken fillet, pineapple chunks and spring onions. Stir until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply