Brown stew is very similar to beef stew. But most beef stew does not have the extra step of browning the meat by frying then simmer until tender. This extra process is known as braising. Although this dish looks similar to beef stew or our local version, the beef caldereta, the taste is very different because it does not have tomato sauce.
1 kilo beef round, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 head garlic, crushed
2 pcs onion, sliced
3 cups beef broth
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 pcs bay leaves
2 pcs medium size potatoes, quartered
1 pc carrot cubed
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. paprika
How to cook brown stew:
- Cook meat in a pressure cooker for 20 – 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile toast flour in an empty pan over low heat until brown. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter and brown meat on all sides.
- Saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add beef broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Let boil and lower heat to simmer. Stir occasionally and add potatoes and carrots.
- Cook until tender and season with salt, pepper, sugar and paprika.
- Remove meat and vegetables then put in a platter. Thicken broth with toasted flour.
- Pour over meat and vegetables. Serve hot.