Sinanglay na tilapia is stewed tilapia fish in coconut milk with pechay and tomatoes. What make this special is the addition of crab fat or roe. Crab fat or crab roe is actually the yellow fat deposit on the upper shell of shore crab or talangka. Also commonly called taba ng talangka which are sold in jars. This dish is very simple to cook where you just have to combine the ingredients and let it simmer until cook. But there is an extra step prior to cooking, you will stuff the fish with vegetable and aromatics then wrap it with pechay leaves.
To sinanglay na tilapia; Clean tilapia and remove scales. Slice at the back and fill in the tomatoes, ginger and onion. Wrap tilapia in native pechay and let boil in coconut milk. Flavor with crab fat or roe. Add salt and simmer until done. To see the complete recipe with list of ingredients in exact measurements, continue reading.
How to Cook Sinanglay na Tilapia
- 1 kilo tilapia 3 pcs/kilo
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 100 gms tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 pcs native pechay
- 1/4 tsp iodized salt
- 4 tbsp crab fat or roe taba ng talangka
- ginger minced
How to Sinanglay na Tilapia
- Clean tilapia and remove scales.
- Slice at the back and fill in the tomatoes, ginger and onion.
- Wrap tilapia in native pechay and let boil in coconut milk.
- Flavor with crab fat or roe.
- Add salt and simmer until done.
Mohaira D. Bansao
filipino recipes or nat