Binagoongang Manok (Chicken with Shrimp Paste)
Another variation of the famous binagoongang baboy Filipino dish, the binagoongang manok or chicken with shrimp paste. This recipe replaces the pork used in the original dish if there is no pork in your area. Or if you just want to avoid pork with lots of fat you can enjoy this binagoongan dish.
- ½ kilo chicken breast, cut into medium sized cubes (bite size)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. sweetened shrimp paste (sweetened bagoong), you can buy the bottled Barrio Fiesta bagoong
- 5 pcs. long green chili or siling pang-sigang, sliced
- 1 pc. eggplant, slice into 2 inch length (optional)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- In a medium size skillet or non-stick pan, stir fry the chicken breast until slightly golden brown then set aside.
- Remove the oil from the pan and leave about 1 Tbsp. and saute garlic and onion.
- Then add the chicken breast and saute for about a few minutes then put the shrimp paste.
- You can add some water to prevent the chicken breast from drying up.
- After 2 minutes add the coconut milk and green chili.
- Season with salt and pepper and adjust according to your desired taste.