Shabu-shabu or hot pot is one of the most versatile dish that you can cook. It is also very simple to make and you might be intimidated in cooking this dish because of the many ingredients that are included in the dish. But actually the only important thing in this dish is how tasty your broth is. Whether you make a soup stock out of beef or pork bones cooked for hours and season with spices and condiments or just buy a pack of instant ramen to make the soup then cook it with the varieties of veggies, meat, seafood, and ready to cook frozen meat balls, fish tofu, lobster balls or squid balls. What I can say that is only limited by your imagination.
Shabu-Shabu (Seafood) Pinoy Style
For the soup stock:
- raw beef bones pork bones
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 20 grams ginger chopped into strips
- 1 pc beef bouillon e.g. Knorr Beef Cubes
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 liter water
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp. spring onions chopped
- salt to taste
For the shabu-shabu:
- yellow corn on a cob slice into an inch pieces
- small piece of gabi taro root, peeled and halved
- 100 grams fish fillet or squid sliced
- 100 grams shrimps
- 100 grams pechay baguio or pechay tagalog chopped
- 3 pcs whole mushrooms dried Shiitake mushrooms soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 carrot sliced
- 100 grams sotanghon noodles soak in water for 30 minutes, drain
- 8 pcs lobster balls
- 8 pcs fish tofu
- 8 pcs meat balls
- 8 pcs crab sticks
How to cook shabu-shabu:
- In a pot, combine water, beef and pork bones, garlic, ginger and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for an hour. Then remove the bones from the broth.
- Add in the sotanghon noodles, mushrooms, carrot, corn, gabi, fish fillet, shrimps, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Let it simmer again for 3 minutes.
- Then add the lobster balls, fish tofu and meat balls. Let it cook again for 3 minutes. Season with salt if necessary. Then last is the pechay baguio, spring onions and crab sticks and simmer again for 1 minute more. Serve hot and enjoy!