This version of salpicao is I think the healthiest version of salpicao because the meat used is cooking this dish is tuna steak which is rich is Omega-3 fatty acids compared to pork, chicken or beef salpicao. But the only downside is the price. It is more expensive than beef, chicken or pork. Anyway it won’t hurt your pocket so much if this tuna salpicao is served only once a month and not buying a sashimi grade tuna. Cooking this dish is also easy and since it is fish, it requires less time in cooking.
A Healthy and Flavorful Delight
Salpicao is a delectable dish that has gained popularity in recent years due to its rich and savory flavors. Traditionally made with beef, chicken, or pork, this dish has now been given a healthy twist with the use of tuna steak. In this blog post, we will explore the wonderful world of Tuna Salpicao and show you how to create this mouthwatering meal that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
The Health Benefits of Tuna Salpicao
Tuna, as the star ingredient of this dish, brings a plethora of health benefits to the table. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, tuna promotes heart health, reduces inflammation, and supports brain function. This makes Tuna Salpicao an excellent choice for those looking to indulge in a delicious meal without compromising their well-being.
Preparing Tuna Salpicao: A Step-by-Step Guide
Marinating the Tuna:
To begin this culinary journey, we first need to marinate the tuna. In a bowl, combine minced garlic, liquid seasoning, soy sauce, peppercorns, paprika, and calamansi juice. Mix the ingredients until they are fully dissolved. Now, add the tuna to the marinade, ensuring that every piece is coated evenly. Let the tuna marinate for at least 15 minutes to absorb all the delightful flavors.
Sauteeing the Garlic:
In a medium-sized skillet, heat oil and saute the chopped garlic until its aroma fills the air. Remove the garlic from the pan and set it aside for later use.
Searing the Tuna:
Using the same pan with the heated oil, fry the marinated tuna cubes. Sear the cubes for no more than 5 minutes, ensuring that all sides are cooked to perfection. The quick cooking time is a result of using fish as the main protein, making this dish ideal for those who need a quick and easy meal.
Creating the Flavorful Sauce:
After removing the seared tuna from the pan, drain the excess oil, leaving about one tablespoon. In the same pan, add butter, oyster sauce, and about half a cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, allowing the butter to dissolve and the flavors to meld for approximately one minute.
Bringing it All Together:
Add the fried tuna cubes and the sauteed garlic back into the pan with the flavorful sauce. Stir the ingredients until the tuna and garlic are fully coated with the luscious sauce. This step will take around 3 minutes to achieve a harmonious blend of flavors. Remember to adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to suit your taste preferences.
Serving Your Tuna Salpicao:
Once you’ve perfected this dish, it’s time to serve your Tuna Salpicao hot and fresh. The delightful aroma and enticing flavors will surely make it an instant hit among family and friends. You can pair it with steamed rice, a crisp garden salad, or even some garlic bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Tuna Salpicao is a delectable and health-conscious twist on the classic salpicao dish. By using tuna steak as the main protein, you can enjoy all the goodness of Omega-3 fatty acids while savoring the rich and flavorful taste of this popular Filipino recipe. Despite its slightly higher cost compared to other salpicao variants, Tuna Salpicao is undoubtedly worth the occasional indulgence.
So, the next time you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious meal that won’t take up much of your time, give Tuna Salpicao a try. With its simple preparation and mouthwatering taste, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your home. Enjoy the health benefits and the delightful flavors of Tuna Salpicao – your taste buds will thank you for it!
How to cook Tuna Salpicao
- 1 kilo yellow fin tuna steaks cut into cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. liquid seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. peppercorns cracked
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
How to cook Tuna Salpicao:
- Combine minced garlic, liquid seasoning, soy sauce, peppercorns, paprika, calamansi juice in a bowl and mix until the ingredients are dissolved.
- Add in the tuna, stir until the tuna are coated with the marinade. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil and saute the chopped garlic until fragrant. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan or skillet with the heated oil, fry the tuna cubes and stir for no more than 5 minutes until the all the sides are completely seared. Then remove from pan, drain and set aside. Remove excess oil from the pan and leave about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- In the same pan, put butter, oyster sauce and about half a cup of water. Bring to a boil until the butter is dissolved for about a minute.
- Add in the fried tuna cubes and garlic and stir until it is well coated with the sauce for about 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot.
Cooking Tips for Tuna Salpicao Recipe:
- Opt for Fresh Tuna: When preparing Tuna Salpicao, choose fresh tuna steak to ensure the best flavor and texture. Look for firm, vibrant-colored tuna with a mild ocean scent, which indicates its freshness.
- Don't Overcook the Tuna: Tuna cooks quickly due to its delicate nature, so it's essential to avoid overcooking. Sear the tuna cubes for no more than 5 minutes to maintain their juiciness and prevent them from becoming dry and tough.
- Let it Marinate: To infuse the tuna with a burst of flavor, marinate it for at least 15 minutes in the mixture of garlic, soy sauce, and spices. This step enhances the taste and tenderness of the tuna, creating a more delightful eating experience.