This is an easy to make appetizer just using ordinary potatoes. All you have to do is to boil and mash the potatoes and season it with salt and pepper. Then mixed with tuna flakes and form it into log shapes. Then put cheese sticks inside the potato rolls, coat it with flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs. Then you are done! you have made an appetizing potato cheese rolls with tuna flakes! Since it is versatile, you can vary the kind of meat filling in the potato rolls. You can use canned or cooked chicken, beef, pork or seafood meat. When cooking the cheese rolls, just be careful not to overcook the cheese rolls because the cheese might burst and will turn it in to a gooey mess in your frying pan.
How to Cook Potato Cheese Roll with Tuna
- 700 grams raw potatoes boiled and peeled
- 1 medium size can Tuna flakes drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 pcs raw egg beaten
- 12 pcs cheese sticks filled cheese or cheddar cheese
How to Cook Potato Cheese Roll with Tuna:
- Wash the potatoes in running water to remove dirt and other impurities. Then fill a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil the potatoes until tender for about 10 to 20 minutes. Prick with a fork to check if the potatoes are already tender. Let it cool.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into smaller pieces so it will be easier to mash it.
- In a big bowl, mash the potatoes using a potato masher or fork until all the lumps are gone and turns into a paste.
- Drain the tuna flakes in a sieve and press the tuna against the sieve using a spoon to help remove the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in the tuna flakes to the mash potatoes. Mix all the ingredients until well incorporated.
- Slice the cheese into 1/2 x 1/2 inch thick and set aside. Beat the eggs until smooth.
- Take some mash potato about 1/3 cup and form it into a ball. Then shape it into an elongated shape and press in the middle using your finger forming an elongate cavity.
- Insert a piece of cheese stick and wrap it with the mash potato dough and form it into a log shape.
- Roll it in a clean flat surface to straighten the log shape of the cheese roll.
- Prepare 3 deep plates and put in each plates flour, beaten egg and the bread crumbs.
- Dredge a piece of potato cheese roll with flour, then dip in beaten eggs and coat with bread crumbs. Do the same procedure on the rest of the cheese rolls.
- Freeze the cheese roll in the fridge overnight or a bout 8 hours before frying.
- To cook the cheese roll: heat cooking oil about an inch deep, fry the cheese rolls until golden brown. Just be careful not to overcook the cheese rolls because the cheese might burst and will turn it in to a gooey mess in your frying pan.
- Serve with mayonnaise mixed with catsup as a dipping sauce.