A Unique Twist on the Classic American Recipe
Buffalo wings, a popular American chicken dish, have gained worldwide fame for their irresistible flavor and finger-licking goodness. Originating in Buffalo, New York, these delectable wings have become a staple at parties, sports events, and casual get-togethers. Today, we’re excited to share with you our unique twist on this beloved recipe – Pinoy Buffalo Wings!
What sets Pinoy Buffalo Wings apart is the clever incorporation of Filipino flavors and ingredients, resulting in a mouthwatering fusion of American and Pinoy cuisine. Our recipe incorporates banana ketchup, calamansi juice (or lemon juice as an alternative), and the ever-versatile Magic Sarap seasoning. Additionally, we’ve added an extra step of coating the wings with cornstarch, ensuring an unbeatable combination of juiciness, tenderness, and crispiness.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create the perfect Pinoy Buffalo Wings:
Prepare the Chicken Wings
Begin by washing the chicken wings thoroughly, ensuring they are free from any tiny feathers. Trim the toenail at the tip of each wing for a clean presentation.
Season the Wings
Once the wings are dry, coat them with calamansi juice (or lemon juice), salt, Magic Sarap seasoning, and pepper. This marinade will infuse the chicken with a burst of tangy and savory flavors. For best results, allow the wings to marinate for at least one hour, allowing the flavors to penetrate the meat.
Heat the Oil
In a deep frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to submerge the chicken wings while frying. Heating the oil to the correct temperature is crucial for achieving crispy wings without excessive greasiness.
Coat with Cornstarch
To add an extra layer of crunchiness, coat the marinated chicken wings with cornstarch before frying. An easy method is to place the wings in a sturdy plastic bag, add cornstarch, and shake until the wings are thoroughly coated.
Deep Fry the Wings
Carefully place the cornstarch-coated wings into the hot oil and fry until they turn a beautiful golden brown. Ensure that the wings are cooked evenly and reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Once cooked, drain the excess oil by placing the wings on a strainer or paper towel.
Create the Signature Sauce
In a saucepan, melt margarine and add hot sauce, calamansi juice, and banana ketchup. Stir well to combine all the ingredients, creating a tantalizing sauce with a perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and spicy flavors. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few seconds, enhancing the overall taste.
Coat the Wings
Add the fried chicken wings to the saucepan and stir until each wing is thoroughly coated with the mouthwatering sauce. This step ensures that every bite is bursting with flavor, creating an unforgettable taste experience.
Serve and Enjoy
Once all the wings are evenly coated, it’s time to serve these delectable Pinoy Buffalo Wings. Arrange them on a platter and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or parsley for an added pop of freshness. Serve them hot, and watch as your guests dive in with enthusiasm.
Pinoy Buffalo Wings are a fantastic choice for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party, planning a family dinner, or simply craving a flavorful snack, these wings will undoubtedly satisfy your taste buds. The unique blend of Filipino ingredients adds a delightful twist to the classic American recipe, making it a favorite among those who appreciate culinary innovation.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the steps outlined above, and prepare to indulge in a truly special dish. With our Pinoy Buffalo Wings recipe, you’ll discover a harmonious fusion of flavors that will leave you wanting more. Get ready to enjoy the best of both worlds – the familiar taste of Buffalo wings combined with the distinct flavors of Filipino cuisine. Bon appétit!
How to Cook Pinoy Buffalo Wings
- 1 kilo chicken wings
- 1 tsp. Magic Sarap or any granuled seasoning
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. calamansi juice for fried chicken marinade
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi juice for the sauce
- Cornstarch for coating the chicken
How to Cook Pinoy Buffalo Wings:
- Wash the chicken wings and remove the any tiny feathers and cut the toenail at the tip.
- Drain any excess water of the washed chicken then coat them with calamansi juice, salt, Magic Sarap and pepper.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour for best result.
- In a deep frying pan, heat some cooking oil, just enough to cover the chicken wings while deep frying.
- Coat the chicken wings with cornstarch before frying. You can use a strong plastic bag then shake and coat the chicken with cornstarch.
- Then deep fry the chicken wings until golden brown. Drain the excess oil in a strainer or paper towel.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine and add in the hot sauce, calamansi juice and banana ketchup. Mix very well and simmer for a few seconds.
- Then add in the fried chicken wings and stir cook until each have been well coated with the sauce.
- Serve hot.
Cooking Tips for Pinoy Buffalo Wings:
- Marinate for Maximum Flavor: Allow the chicken wings to marinate for at least one hour in calamansi juice, salt, Magic Sarap seasoning, and pepper to infuse them with delicious tangy and savory flavors.
- Achieve Crispy Perfection: Coat the chicken wings with cornstarch before frying to add an extra layer of crispiness, resulting in perfectly crunchy wings that are sure to satisfy.
- Toss in Flavorful Sauce: Coat the fried wings in a delectable sauce made from melted margarine, hot sauce, calamansi juice, and banana ketchup, ensuring that each wing is fully coated and bursting with sweet, tangy, and spicy flavors.