Pancit canton or pansit canton is one of the Chinese cuisine that Filipinos adopted. Like the pancit bihon which also have it’s origin from the Chinese traders long ago, this pancit or stir fried noodles are almost the same on how they are cooked with the addition of meat and vegetables but the only difference is the noodles that are used in cooking pancit.
Pancit canton noodles are flour based and yellowish in color. They are also dried and fried and packaged in a clear cellophane wrapping unlike the bihon noodles or rice sticks that use rice flour as the main ingredient and the color is usually opaque white. Those are only sun dried and packaged without frying the noodles. Somehow maybe you are wondering when you eat pancit canton and you will notice it is a lot greasier than pancit bihon. It is because the pancit canton noodles are fried in the manufacturing process.
How to Cook Pancit Canton
- 1/2 kilo pancit canton noodles
- 20 shrimps shelled and deveined with tails on
- 1 chicken breast deboned
- 3 Tbsps. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. patis
- 3 tbsps. cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 25 pcs sitsaro snow peas
- 1 carrot cut into strips
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 2 red and green sweet pepper cut in strips
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 pcs. dried mushroom soaked in water
- 1 egg
- MSG to taste
- pinch of pepper or to taste
How to cook pancit canton:
- Blend egg and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Coat shrimps with it and set aside.
- Slice chicken breast thinly and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and patis.
- Mix to coat chicken slices evenly and set aside.
- Drain mushrooms. Remove tough stems and slice thinly.
- Sauté garlic, onions in hot oil and add chicken and cook stirring until chicken is firm.
- Add soy sauce, pepper, salt, and broth and bring to a boil. Add sitsaro and mushroom.
- After 2-3 minutes, add carrots, celery and cabbage. Add seasonings.
- Drop coated shrimp in boiling mixture. Lower heat to moderate.
- Add canton noodles and cook until noodle is done, and most of the broth is absorbed.
- Serve hot. Good for 8 persons.