This is one of the best tasting Asian chicken wings dish. What I can say is that it is a fried chicken with a twist. Because the fried chicken is sauteed with onion, ginger and spring onions and them coated with sesame oil, rice wine and five spice powder. I’m sure you are going to enjoy it with the barbecue dipping sauce included in this recipe. But you can always replace the dipping sauce with your favorite kind of dipping sauces. This recipe is also versatile that you can replace the chicken wings with your favorite chicken parts like drumsticks, chicken fillet or chicken thigh.
Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- 1 kilogram chicken wings chop in 2 pieces each
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp. ginger minced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. five spice powder ngohiong
- 3 pcs bird's eye chili peppers chopped (siling labuyo)
- 2 tsp. rice wine cooking wine: e.g. Shaoxing wine
- 1/8 tsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks spring onions or scallion. chopped
- cooking oil for frying
Dipping Sauce (bbq sauce):
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 pcs bird's eye chili minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
How to cook Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings:
- Wash the chicken wings in running water and drain. Locate the joint of the drumette and wingette and cut the wings in two pieces on that joint.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper. Coat the pieces with cornstarch then dip in beaten eggs.
- Put oil in a frying pan about an inch high and heat the oil until ready for frying. Fry the chicken about 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Put the chicken in a colander or wire rack to drain excess oil.
- In the same pan, remove the oil the leave just about a tablespoon of oil. Then saute garlic, chilies, spring onion and ginger until fragrant.
- Then add the fried chicken and saute. Add rice wine, sesame oil, five spice powder and season with salt and pepper. Toss it well until the ingredients are well mixed. Then transfer to a serving plate. Serve with bbq dipping sauce.
How to make the bbq dipping sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve as dipping sauce.