A Delicious Twist to a Classic Dish
Are you looking for a mouthwatering barbecue dish that is easy to prepare and bursting with flavor? Look no further! In this recipe, we will show you how to make Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawaliâ€”a delightful twist on the traditional grilling method. By using a frying pan or wok, you can achieve the same delicious taste as a charcoal grill. Let’s dive into this simple yet irresistible recipe!
The Unique Cooking Method:
When it comes to pork barbecue, grilling over hot charcoals is the most common method. However, in this recipe, we’re taking a different approach. Instead of grilling, we’ll be using a frying pan or kawali to cook the pork liempo. This alternative method imparts a flavor similar to pork asado, making it a delectable variation for your taste buds.
Simplicity at Its Finest:
One of the best things about this recipe is its simplicity. You won’t need an extensive list of ingredients or spend hours preparing a marinade. To make things easier, we recommend using a ready-to-use marinade mix, such as Mama Sita’s barbecue marinade. Simply purchase the liquid type packed in bottles or sachets, and you’re good to go!
Preparing the Pork BBQ Liempo sa Kawali:
Start by placing the pork liempo in a bowl or plastic container suitable for 1 kilogram of meat. Next, add calamansi juice, garlic, black pepper, barbecue marinade, ketchup, and a tablespoon of cooking oil. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients and gently massage the pork belly to ensure it absorbs the flavors. Allow the meat to marinate for at least one hour or overnight in the refrigerator for maximum taste infusion.
Cooking the Pork Liempo:
When it’s time to cook, heat three tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan. Drain the marinated pork liempo using a colander and set aside the marinade for later use. Carefully fry the pork in the pan until it turns a delightful shade of brown on all sides. Once browned, pour the reserved marinade into the pan and let it boil.
Achieving the Perfect Texture and Flavor:
To prevent burning, cook the pork over low heat while continuously turning or flipping it. This cooking process allows the sauce to reduce gradually and ensures that the oil renders from the pork, resulting in a rich, succulent texture. Keep an eye on the dish until the sauce reaches a desirable thickness and the pork is cooked to perfection.
Serving and Enjoying the Dish:
The aroma of the Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali is sure to whet your appetite. Once the dish is ready, serve it hot alongside a generous helping of cooked rice. The tender, flavorful pork combined with the savory sauce will make each bite a truly satisfying experience. This dish is perfect for family gatherings, potlucks, or even as a simple weeknight dinner option.
Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali is an exceptional dish that brings a twist to the traditional pork barbecue. By using a frying pan instead of grilling, you can enjoy the same great taste with added convenience. The simplicity of the recipe, combined with the tantalizing flavors, makes this dish a favorite among many. So why wait? Try this recipe today and let your taste buds revel in the succulent goodness of Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali!
NOTES ON THE INGREDIENTS:
Pork belly or pork liempo is the preferred part used in this recipe. Then meat is sliced into half an inch to 3/4 inch thick and the usual cut is about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. This is the common pork belly cut sold in the wet market and supermarkets locally.
Ready to Use Barbecue Marinade will make your life simple when cooking Pinoy barbecue dishes. There are many brands in the market like Mama Sita’s barbecue marinade, Clara Ole or Del Monte. But personally I prefer the Mama Sita’s because it is so close to the traditional barbecue taste sold by street vendors.
How to Cook Pork BBQ Liempo sa Kawali
- 1 kilo Pork liempo
- 1 pack Mama Sita's barbecue marinade (150ml) for 1 kilo
- 6 Tbsp. ketchup banana or tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp calamansi juice
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
How to Cook Pork BBQ Liempo sa Kawali
- Put pork liempo in a bowl or any plastic container that will fit the 1 kilo pork.
- Add calamansi juice, garlic, black pepper, barbecue marinade, ketchup and 1 tablespoon cooking oil.
- Mix all the ingredients and gently massage the pork belly then marinate for one hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- To cook the liempo, heat 3 Tbsp. of cooking oil in a frying pan. Drain the pork liempo with a colander and reserve the marinade for later use.
- Fry the pork in the pan until brown on all sides. Then pour the marinade in the pan and let it boil.
- Cook in low heat until the sauce is reduced while turning or flipping the pork from time to time to avoid burning,
- Cook until the sauce is almost dry and oil renders from the pork.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.
Cooking Tips for Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali
- Alternative cooling method: Cooking this barbecue recipe is not limited to using a frying pan or wok. You can use an air fryer which is much better because it will taste like grilled pork barbecue. To cook it in an air fryer, just put the pork in the fryer and set it to 180 degrees Celsius for 30 to 45 minutes. Baste the pork with the marinade from time to time to prevent it from drying and burning.
- Marinate for Maximum Flavor: For an incredibly flavorful Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali, marinating the meat is crucial. Take the time to let the pork liempo soak in the marinade for at least an hour, or even overnight in the refrigerator if possible. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat, resulting in a more tender and delectable final dish.
- Slow and Low Heat Cooking: When cooking Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali, it's essential to maintain a low heat throughout the cooking process. This slow cooking technique ensures that the pork cooks evenly, preventing it from becoming tough or overcooked. Additionally, it allows the sauce to gradually reduce and intensify in flavor, resulting in a thick and savory coating on the meat.
- Monitor the Sauce Consistency: As you cook the Pork Liempo Barbecue sa Kawali, keep a close eye on the sauce consistency. The sauce should reduce and thicken, creating a rich coating for the pork. However, be cautious not to let it dry out completely or burn. Adjust the heat accordingly and periodically flip or turn the pork to evenly distribute the sauce and prevent any burning. The ideal sauce consistency should be sticky and flavorful, clinging to the meat and enhancing its taste.