Kare-kareng manok is a variety of the popular Filipino kare-kare dish and usually ox tail is used as the main ingredient. Other varieties of kare-kare are ox tripe and pork legs but this recipe, the kare-kareng manok uses chicken as an alternative meat. With regard to the kind of chicken used in this dish, as much as possible, native chicken (native free range chicken) is preferable because the meat is tastier than the commercial broiler chicken usually sold in supermarket or wet market. Anyway there is already free range chicken sold in supermarket poultry section which you can use in this dish.
To cook chicken kare-kare; Put 2 tablespoon of hot water in the annato seed and remove seeds after 10 minutes. Heat oil. In the same oil, saute garlic, onions, ginger, and chicken. Cook for 15 minutes. Add 3 cups water, Kare-kare mix or peanut butter, tomato sauce and eggplant. Cook for 15 minutes. Add coconut milk or evaporated milk, pechay. Simmer until pechay is cooked.Then serve with shrimp paste or bagoong alamang.
How to Cook Kare-Kareng Manok (Chicken Kare-Kare)
- 1 Tbsp. anato seed
- 4 tsp. ginger cut into strips
- 1 kilo chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 1 cup peanut butter or Mama Sita's Kare kare mix
- 200 grams tomato sauce
- 4 pcs. medium size eggplants
- 2 cups evaporated milk or coconut milk
- 1 bundle pechay
- 1 cup stringbeans cut 2 inches
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Bagoong alamang Shrimp paste
How to cook kare-kareng manok:
- Put 2 tablespoon of cooking oil in the annato seed and heat in a pan until the oil render the color of the annato seeds. Remove the seeds and retain the oil in the pan.
- In the same oil, saute garlic, onions, ginger, and chicken. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water, Kare-kare mix or peanut butter, tomato sauce and eggplant. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk or evaporated milk, pechay. Simmer until pechay is cooked.
- Serve with Shrimp paste.