This classic slow-simmered caldereta uses excellent ingredients starting with red wine and finishing with brandy and sherry. The thickening agent is also authentic as it uses bread crumbs which stems from a medieval practice. Goat meat, unlike beef, pork or chicken needs some extra step in preparation because if not done so, the dish will taste gamy. The common preparation is marinating it in vinegar or boiling it with water, vinegar and black peppercorns. But this goat stew uses red wine to remove the gamy taste by marinating it for hours.
To cook the goat meat stew; Marinate the goat meat in red wine for half a day. Boil the meat in water until almost tender. Reserve the stock. In olive oil, saute in garlic and onion. Brown the meat. Add the tomato paste, olive brine and tomato. Simmer until meat is tender. Season with paprika. If the sauce reduces, add goat stock and wine. Thicken sauce with cheese and bread crumbs. Add olives and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Add brandy and sherry and continue to simmer until cooked.
How to Cook Goat Meat Stew (Caldereta de Cabrito)
- 1 kilo goat meat
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 big onion sliced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup brine of green olives
- 1/2 cup tomato boiled, peeled , seeded and chopped finely
- dash of parika picante
- 1 tablespoon grated Edam cheese
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 10 green olives
- 2 lightly roasted green and red bell peppers sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon sherry
How to cook the goat meat stew:
- Marinate the goat meat in red wine for half a day.
- Boil the meat in water until almost tender. Reserve the stock.
- In olive oil, saute in garlic and onion. Brown the meat.
- Add the tomato paste, olive brine and tomato. Simmer until meat is tender.
- Season with paprika. If the sauce reduces, add goat stock and wine.
- Thicken sauce with cheese and bread crumbs. Add olives and peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add brandy and sherry and continue to simmer until cooked.
I have just been given some goat meat and this looks like The perfect way to use it. What do you recommend serving it with?
Hi Mark, you can serve it with rice or bread.
Hi KEURINMEOW, I’ve updated the recipe so now it has, number of servings, preparation and cooking time.
how many servings? and how many hours or minutes is the preparation? 😀
Hi there, thank you for that. I was trying to find a hearty stew recipe to help me get through the christmas time, and this looks perfect. I found a whole stew recipe site here too that seems to have loads of good stuff, maybe you can get some more inspiration there. Anyway, thanks, I will bookmark and read more another time 😉