Zesty Fish Kilawin
Have you tried fresh tuna or labahita, tanigue or bangus pickled in vinegar & spices? This is a kind of cooking that you don’t need fire, just vinegar and also to kill those micro organisms that might go in to our system. This can be eaten as appetizer or as a side dish with fried or grilled pork liempo. If you have a picnic or just a simple gathering, I think this can be a good dish to serve. Just be careful, not everyone can digest and tolerate fish kilawin (ceviche).
1/2 kilo very fresh tuna, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (or tanigue, lahahita or bangus)
1/2 cup Spiced Vinegar (for rinsing)
1/3 cup Vinegar (white)
2 tsp ginger, sliced into fine strips
1/2 cup onions (preferably sibuyas mura, “shallots “), chopped finely salt
1/3 cup dayap juice
freshly ground pepper
siling labuyo, chopped (start with 3-4 pieces first)
How to make Zesty Fish Kilawin
- Wash the fish very well under running water. Squeeze out water.
- Add 1/2 cup Spiced Vinegar to rinse and gently wash the fish pieces in vinegar.
- Squeeze vinegar out. Add ginger, onions, Vinegar (white), salt and siling labuyo.
- Add the 1/3 cup dayap juice and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the marinated fish in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator for 15 minutes then serve.
- Serves 4. Preparation time: 20-30 minutes.
Tuna has a high level of Omega 3 Fatty Acid that may reduce hypertension.