Sinigang Na Baboy
Sinigang na baboy is pork stewed in sour broth and is actually the original sinigang recipe before the many kinds of sinigang versions that was introduced. Some of the sinigang recipes includes sinigang na baka, sinigang na bangus, siningang na sugpo and many others. Because of the popularity of sinigang, sinigang mix is introduced in the market and it makes our cooking simpler by just pouring the powder mix in cooking this dish. But nothing can beat the taste of the traditional fresh tamarind fruit that is boiled and mashed and extracting the tamarind juice.
1/2 kilo cubed pork
1/2 kilo pork ribs
1 small bunch spring onion
1 kilo ripe tomatoes
4 pieces gabi, cut in half
1/2 kilo sampaloc (tamarind)
10 cups rice washing or water
1 bunch kangkong
1 bunch sitaw
2 pieces eggplant, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 pieces radish, cut in 1 inch pieces
patis to taste
3 pieces long green chili
How to cook sinigang:
- In a large pot, put together the cubed pork, the ribs, green onion and tomatoes mashed with a fork.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes till meat is tender.
- In another pot put in the sampaloc with the water.
- Boil for about 10 minutes until the sampaloc is soft and mushy. Strain sampaloc water.
- When the meat is just tender but not overcooked, pour the sampaloc water into the large pot.
- Add the vegetables according to firmness, beginning with the gabi, then the radish, sitaw and kangkong in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Season with patis. The chilies may be added if a hot fiery sinigang is desired.