A Filipino recipe pork kilawin that consist of pork head meat (remove the bones from the meat and skin) and skin, intestines, pork brain, liver and pork tongue. Kilawin or “ceviche” specially in fish is prepared without cooking and only the vinegar or lime juice will pickle the fish meat. But since pork most of the time is infested with parasites, is should be well cooked. But the way it is prepared is similar to ceviche using pork innards.
To cook pork kilawin; In a saucepan, put pork head, tongue, small intestines and liver to boil. Lower heat and simmer until tender. Cut into strips. Set aside. Clean brain and boil in vinegar and salt. Combine with the other meats, garlic and onion. Season with salt and pepper. To see the rest of the recipe with the exact measurement of ingredients, continue reading.
- 1 kilo pork head meat
- 1 pc pork tongue, blanched and cleaned
- 150 g small intestine
- ¼ kg pork liver
- 2 pairs pig's brain
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 1 to 2 tbsp. fine salt
- ½ Tbsp. black pepper, ground
- In a saucepan, put pork head, tongue, small intestines and liver to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until tender.
- Cut into strips. Set aside. Clean brain and boil in vinegar and salt.
- Combine with the other meats, garlic and onion.
- Season with salt and Pepper. Serves 12.